Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paracelsus

Graptopetalum hybrid 'purple haze' in flower

paracelsus
18 years ago

I just dunno what is this plants true name/genus/or mixed genus. I recall a tag calling it graptopetalum 'purple haze', but that might be wrong. Does anyone recognize this plant?

{{gwi:467894}}

Comments (9)

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

No, but it's one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen : ) Thank you!

Jen

• paracelsus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My son David was looking at the photo above and thought he could do better. Here is his photo of the plant:

{{gwi:467895}}

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I have one called Purple Ghost, but its very dark in colour and quite small.

(I dont know how old your son is but he did a good job!)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Brad,

That's a lovely picture by yourself, and another fine one by Son of Para.

Judging from the flowering habit, I'd say it's a mix of Pachyphytum and Echeveria. I've got one that has similar growth habit and have it tagged as Graptoveria 'Opalina'.

Thanks again - it's a fine-looking plant.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Brad,

I miswrote something above. My plant, Graptoveria 'Opalina', has a branched inflorescence typical of Graptopetalums. While it is somewhat similar in form to your plant, I mixed them up, as I compared my plant to yours - yours has Pachyphytum in it, as seen in the single inflorescence stalks.

• paracelsus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My son is 15 and pretty good with the camera. He is learning to use photoshop. I like his flower detail very much.

So then it's a pachyveria something or other, Jeffrey! Maybe the tag was Pachyveria 'puple haze'.

Thanks for the information about branched and single stalk inflorescences. That will help sort out some of my other plants heritage. It's a good thing I don't get to concerned about the true identity of my echeverias, pachyphytums, and graptopetalums They all have somewhat suspect pedigrees anyway because of a long history of promiscuous inter-breeding and their habit of having indiscriminant incestuous relations with multiple partners. I just try to keep them happy and let them do their own thing. The damage to the gene pool is somebody elseÂs problem. ;]

Para, running from the Puritans

• becca_grow
    18 years ago

Jeffery,
    You mentioned that you have a Graptoveria "Opalina". I just ordered one, and it is being shipped, but I was just wondering, does it flower like the one in the picture?! If so, Wow.
    b

• becca_grow
    18 years ago

Jeffrey,
    I totally spelled your name wrong in my last post... sorry :)

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Para.

Kudos to you AND David. They are both great photos! I really like that yours shows the detail of the plant, and his shows detail of the flowers. What a beautiful plant!

Kate

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets