Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anya_101

Major scaring of cactus pads.. on purpose!

anya_101
18 years ago

Ok folks,

Who do you think started this kind of thing with pumpkins that became a kraze??? LOL

Ok so I love to play. : )

Least this guy is rooted nicely and ok, so I have done several of these now with different designs. But this was my first (and favorite) try at it and I'd say he has held up nicely.

What ya think of my butcher job?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kopapelli

Comments (8)

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Well, if people can tattoo themselves and practice ritual scarification, I don't see artistic mutilation of other sentient beings as anything abnormal or socially unacceptable, assuming of course that the cactus was not drunk, was of legally responsible age, was given accurate information about the potential risks of the procedure, and gave an informed consent. ;)

Para, noting that some people eat those things. Making them into art is original and interesting

• fishies
    18 years ago

I love it! It's like a plant tattoo! And a beautiful design. I have kokopelli scarred somewhere too :)

{{gwi:468059}}

• baci
    18 years ago

That is a very clever idea. It is a beautiful art form that goes along well with the cacti. I often see graffiti on cacti, which makes the entire garden look sloppy, but your idea would actually make a garden.

What is your technique? Do you use cacti with spines or are the spineless?

Are there different forms for the Kopapelli online? Would such an art form be compatible with art forms of other tribes, such as totem poles of the Northwest?

• fishies
    18 years ago

What kind of graffiti do you see on cacti? Do you mean spraypaint? Images or words?

Anya, can you post some more of your cactus art? I'd love to see it.

Shelly

• anya_101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Para your to funny but yes, it was held hostage,LOL

fishies, I am not into tatoos on bodies that the good lord gave us, but that one is neat. I have a few other photos on the same link I just added for you, if you just hit the forward arrow.

baci, Does a fisherman truthfully tell you where he catches the big ones? Does a mushroom hunter ever truthfully tell you where all the mushroom are?
    Truthfully though, there is no such thing as no sticklers on cacti pads, no matter how "spinless" they appear! There are indeed different art works of kokopelli on line. I assume that anything desert type would work just fine for carving. I prefer to try and keep it desert/ southwestern type anyway.

Rose

• baci
    18 years ago

fishies, if you go a google search using the words "cactus graffiti" it shows you pictures. Usually I see names or initials carved into cacti. Sharp objects such as knives are oftentimes used. Heat can also scar cacti. Etching & iron on are other possibilities.

• fishies
    18 years ago

I did a google search on cactus graffiti, and it's HORRIBLE STUFF! What a nasty thing to do to a plant. It's not tattooing at all - it's closer to writing on the face of some passed-out drunk. Ugg. I wholeheartedly disapprove of the practice.

Wouldn't you hate to be one of those plants, forever proclaming the love of Julie + John TLF?

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Shelly,

It's quite a common practice, here in the Land of the Rampant Platyopuntia, particularly in public gardens such as the cactus gardens (both #1 and, to a lesser extent #2) in the jewel of San Diego's park system, Balboa Park.

However, being toughened inner-city cacti, they bear their burden with great dignity.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH