Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More pics - Inside the Grand Canyon

Posted by paulzie32 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 08 at 21:44

I Just Love the Desert! So incredible!

Ocotillo
occotillo

Love those Chollas! I think it's the spines!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Dead one :-(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Big Barrels!!! Over 2 feet tall!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sad Remains
Photobucket

Photobucket

Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More pics - Inside the Grand Canyon

Nice ride!

Great photos paulzie!!

o

Thanks! Want more? Don't suppose you've got any ideas for any ID's?

o

I'll have to break out the books to get identifications, but even then it will be spotty.

o

I'm pretty sure the Chollas are Opuntia acanthocarpa. Anyone else have an opinion?

o

I notice that one of your photos caught a glimpse of the ever elusive wild grand canyon chopper.

o

That's right! Great flight! HOT but Fun! That's from a trip out there in August! Felt like a Sauna insde that glass bubble! Highly recommended if you've never done it! just do it between the fall and spring. NEVER in summer!
Maverick was the name of the company!

o

deas human being exists there?
oh my my i am sooo scared of the places
like dry deserts,.
i would like to see it but i worry i wouldn't come back alive?

o

Nice "tour" for us, thanks! I was born and raised in Flagstaff, AZ, so I particularly enjoy seeing these photos of my backyard! ;-)

IDs:
Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo)
Cylindropuntia acanthocarpa (Buckhorn Cholla, but this one is difficult since cholla are so variable)
Ferocactus cylindraceus (my best guess as to your barrel)
Yucca brevifolia (this seems a bit out of its range, unless your tour took you more near Lake Powell than up in the Grand Canyon, it may be a planted specimen)

o

Hi,
You show some very nice pictures here of a fieldtrip that seens to be amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Pieter

o

Thanks for the comments... there were more near this one that didn't get brought forward... but if you'd like,

Around Vegas - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cactigal/msg032001188576.html?5

Desert Springs Preserve - http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cactigal/msg0321375423583.html?3

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cactigal/msg0321285914246.html?2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here