Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_alley

Aloe Ferox???

Julie_Alley
18 years ago

I just got this aloe labeled as A. Ferox was it miss-labeled?

thanks,

Julie

Image link:

Comments (11)

• Travis_M_99
    18 years ago

It looks like Ferox to me :-)

Travis

• patrick_in_fb
    18 years ago

It looks like ferox to me, too. It could also be marlothii. There's no certain way to tell until it gets a bit older, and blooms.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Based on the number of spines on the bottom of the leaf, I'd guess that it is A. marlothii.

• Julie_Alley
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Could it be aculeta or peglarae?

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I have both peglerae and aculeata, and they look nothing like this.

aculeata:
    {{gwi:66450}}

peglerae:
    {{gwi:468406}}

{{gwi:468409}}

• anya_101
    18 years ago

Larry, yours looks more like marlothii to me with those white rings around each spine and the seam down the middle.

Julie, if yours has the bold white rings around the spines and the seam down the middle like in Larry's aculeata photo, then I would say it is def. Aloe marlothii. If on the other hand it doesn't, then yes it may be a Ferox.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Rose,

Aloes with 'pasties' around the bottom-of-the-leaf teeth are (almost invariably, to the best of my knowledge) Aloe aculeata.

Larry's first photo is of an Aloe aculeata.

• anya_101
    18 years ago

Well Jeffrey, I am just going by my plant, which is one that you identified for me this time last year or so Darlin! Ok so mine is now Aloe Aculeata also. I will make sure I change that tag, she needs repotted anyway. Thank you. : )

• Julie_Alley
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It definitely has no white around the spines, they are the brightest red. that was the reason I thought it couldnÂt be A. Ferox.

• fishies
    18 years ago

"Pasties"?

Where have you been hanging out lately, Jeffrey? Is there special entertainment at those San Diego C&S meetings that we should know about?

But leaving aside the naughty thoughts for just a moment: can you guys spell out for me the differences between A. marlothii and A. aculeata? I've recently murdered ~yet another~ marlothii (at least I think it was marlothii), and I'm going to be replacing it this summer. I want to make sure I'm getting the Real Deal.

Also, is it marlotthii? Or marlothii? Now that I've been looking at them for a while, trying to remember the correct spelling, they both look like jello to me.

• fishies
    18 years ago

Are there ~any~ differences between A. marlothii and A. aculeata? Or are they really the same plant? Maybe one's a spy, and has a entire secret identity - like that old Jerry O'Connell show, My Secret Identity. Except instead of being able to run really, really fast, the aloe would be able to shoot spikes at bad guys. And ~then~ the aloe would run really, really fast.

Anyway, what characteristics differentiate marlotthii from aculeata? And what's this business about peglerae? Looks like a marlothii to me...

Shelly

Sponsored