Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igor_fl

Pink Mamm ID

igor_fl
18 years ago

Bought this one at Target many months ago - suddenly noticed one bloom on it. Any idea which Mamm this is?

{{gwi:469639}}

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Looks like Mammillaria sheldonii.

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Igor,
    It's the same as the one I've been trying to identify for more than a year. I've gotten alot of suggestions, one - mazatlanensis seems to come the closest. Others have thornberi, sheldonii, voburnensis and wrightii. Mine bloomed last summer and then produced a fruit this winter. Here is a link to it.
    Dan
    Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Mamm?

• Julie_Alley
    18 years ago

I have this one as an unidentified too! It was labeled as Rainbow Mamm but thatÂs not helpful at all. Mine is budding now, Can't wait for the flowers. It was covered in them last spring. Thanks for the hints on the ID!

Julie

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Of the ones you've listed as possibles, voburnensis seems to be the most unlikely but the plant linked is so labelled. Quite surprising to me.

Igor,
    Mammillarias.net has quite a range of photos you can compare your plant to based on the suggestions given by Dan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mammillarias.net

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Not M. voburnensis. Not M. mazatlanensis. Not M. wrightii. Not M. thornberi. M. sheldonii is a good suggestion, but I would like to offer M. dioica. M. dioica is very variable but some good ID features are the single hooked central spine sometimes with several upper centrals almost like radials, the highly cylindrical shape, and the short strongly green style lobes. The bright red fruit is also helpful for ID, but M. sheldonii fruit is quite similar if a little paler red.

• igor_fl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sheldonii or mazatlanensis seems to be the closest one ... any possibility for this to be a blossfeldiana? I used to have one and bought this cactus because the body reminded me of it ... but blossfeldiana had larger flowers if I remember correctly ...

• igor_fl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A few more photos - including of the entire plant - maybe that will help?

{{gwi:469640}}
    {{gwi:469641}}

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

Igor,

I stick to my original suggestion. Still looks like sheldonii to me. I'm not as experienced as shrubs to be able to rule out other species since I know plants can be very variable, but I'm sure I have a plant like this that is labelled sheldonii.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Mammillaria sheldonii

• steve_nz
    18 years ago

Here is my Mam labelled as sheldonii

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored