Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus ID request

Posted by biwako_of_abi San Diego (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 18:51

Someone gave me this over a year ago. It was in a pot with no drainage holes, but had also been given practically no water, so it escaped rotting. When I got it, it consisted of several fairly straight cylindrical stems, but now the tips of the stems have turned into round balls. Was it etiolated before, but now catching up and becoming fatter? Is this cresting, and if so, can it have been brought on by the change from a meager existance to (comparatively) the lap of luxury with sun, fertilizer, and water?

And above all, I would appreciate an ID for it.

Image link: Cactus ID request (38 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus ID request

Cereus peruvianus (or hildmannianus) monstrose. It looks like it was a bit etiolated but is more normal now. Not crested, but a different kind of deformity. It was always that way, the base species is a normal columnar.

o

You are correct about the new growth. This one has done exactly the same thing after I put it in the ground.

o

A handsome plant, one of the few crests/monstrose forms I would have in my house!(Used to have a small one, )

o

Looks like a CP Monstrose. Mine is a bit more compact. Noticed it had a scale on it and the old No Pest Strip in the empty fish aquarium cured it.
I have not come across Cactuspolecat as of late. Anyone have the skinny on CP from Tasmania? -CJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here