Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Can anyone ID this Epiphyllum? (pic)

When I bought this, it was just labeled as 'purple'. This is its first blooming for me. I have a suspicion it might be one called 'Clown', since it's so unusual. Are there any epi growers out there that can help me ID this?

{{gwi:469934}}

{{gwi:469935}}

Comments (11)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I don't know which one that is,but it's very pretty.

I have this one in bloom now and it must have at least 40 blooms on it.

{{gwi:469936}}

I don't know the nane of mine either.
    Kathi

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I'm not an Epi afficianado, even though I do grow a few and love every one I see. There are so many hybrids and some look so similar that it's almost impossible to identify individual plants. I've posted a link below which might help you both.

Dave, your's might be 'Old Vintage'...looks very similar and it's pictured on the link below.

Kathi, Your's is probably 'Padre', also pictured on the link. I love the cup shaped blooms. I think I had this at one time but lost it in a move.

Another Dave....in Milwaukee.:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the link

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dave,

Could be Old Vintage possibly. That photo is not very good to go by though. Looks like mine has a more defined stripe.

• cena60
    16 years ago

I can think of five possible 'maybe's. Just as with orchids, if you do not obtain the plant with a provenance ID, don't 'name' it yourself. Enjoy the beauty and bounty of the blooms, the skill that brings them, and share, share, share cuttings.

(We have to addict & educate all those 'other' people!)

Beautifully grown with nary a blemish, and blooms to boot!!!
    Good job!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes cena, I'll just enjoy it. Maybe I'll call it 'unnamed white-and-magenta' for now. These things seem to do well in my cool garage over winter. It got down to around 45 degrees ocassionally. Also, there are two south windows and a flourescent lamp on a timer. They all really seemed to like that location.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

cool, bright, and slightly dry has always been successful for me in wintering Epi's. I lost my E. oxypetalum in an early freeze last year and have to find another.

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Dave_in_Nova, Have one exactly the same, which is also in bloom. Think it came from Logees', but I inherited it, through a friend, so never knew its name.

• georgew79
    15 years ago

Sorry I can't be of help. It is very pretty though i have a white night blooming Epi that I have had for 19 years, It blooms every year for me and is very nice, but as it is more of a wild type it grows very large and I have to cut it back every fall to keep it under control.
    I would love to get a couple of cuttings from some of the Hybrids out there, just so I could have a little more color.
    George W. Z5-6 MO.

• jennifer_2010
    12 years ago

Color-wise, it looks either like an 'Old Vintage' or 'Star of Persia'. However, I don't think it is either because in the 'Old Vintage', the inner cream petals tend to have darker pink streaks on the outer edges which fade inward, whereas your pink streaks start closer to the center of the flower and fade out. Your photo also looks similar to the 'Star of Persia' but the 'Star of Persia' has inner flower petals that come to a sharp point at the tip. Your inner flower petals are more rounded at the tip. There is an Epiphyllum Society of America that lists many types of orchid cactus and provides photos of them online. However, there are hundreds to look through. If you have time, you can view their list of varieties and try to find yours. Good luck.

• marilyn_c
    12 years ago

This is an Epiphyllum forum that is very helpful and you might find the identity here. It's a beautiful plant. Congratulations!

Here is a link that might be useful: Epi forum

• rainpetals
    9 years ago

looks like clown to me

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES