Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbrownthumb

Party Of Five...

mrbrownthumb
18 years ago

...plus one booster seat.

It's funny how life sometimes works out. I was looking at my plants just yesterday and thinking I was going to limit my buying to Adenium Obesums, Lithops and Euphorbia Obesa-only.

Well I walk into the green house today and what do I spot? A new shipment of plants. They had six EOs and out of six I came home with five of them. They're all about the diameter of a soda can but a lot shorter than one. If you look on the left hand side of the pic you can see a little baby. So technically I came home with six of the suckers today. This brings my EO collection to 8 plants.

Is there a way I'm suppose to be able to tell which are the females and which are the males?

Here is a link that might be useful: Party of Five plus one booster seat.

Comments (10)

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Nice little piggy party you have going on there :)

The plant on the upper left and the one in the middle look like females. The other three are males, shamelessly showing off their yellow pollen.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm...

I guess that makes sense. I had figured the difference would be in the color or maybe ribbing of the plants. I should have guessed the one in the upper left was a female since she's carrying the little guy or girl. I'll make sure to mark the ones with the yellow pollen.

Thanks!

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

very nice plants, mbt, those go on the wish list!

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

I love Obesas, they are so cute to me. I have one that is blooming now. Yours look fat and happy-SCORE! : )

Jen

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

Great catch, MBT!

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

The only way to tell the difference between male and female obesa's is the flowers. In all other respects they are identical. E. obesa is a sex-changer. It can be male this year, and female the next. My two specimens have maintained their gender for the last four years, however.

{{gwi:470217}}Â Â

Frank's web site linked below has a wonderfully detailed description of the flowers of succulent Euphorbias. Have a look :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The cyathia of the Euphorbias

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all.

paracelsus,

I already had two little ones, but every time I saw that pic of yours it made me want some larger ones. I bought these because they look more like yours than the two little ones I already have.

I remember the thread where it was discussed that they sometimes switch sexes. I didn't realize it kept happening as they got older than 2 years old. I'll have to make sure to mark them and keep an eye on them.

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Really handsome (& cute) grouping, very nice (& I don't even grow these, but they are pretty cool).

Your pix too are always terrific, good detail, nice & clear. I'm considering buying a digital camera MBT, may I pls. digress long enough to ask what kind of camera you're using?

• reptilegrrl
    18 years ago

I am SO envious! I have Obesa envy. I want one so very hadly. I would pet it and love it every day.

• mrbrownthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

pirate_girl,

I use a kodak EasyShare LS443. It's a good "starter" camera because of the settings...but it has a few drawbacks. If you look at the picture of the EO Grouping take a look at the white cardboard they're sitting on. See how it's blue and purpleish instead of white? A lot of cameras do that but especially the Kodaks. I take a lot of pics and then chose the one I like best and then when I resize it in photoshop for viewing if I don't forget I will sharpen it some.

reptilegrrl,

How funny I hadn't thought about how reptillian they looked until I saw your post and your name. LOL, they do kinda look like lizards or something.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County