Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Adenium Festival in Vietnam

rjj1
18 years ago

Khuong Hoang of Hochiminh City, Vietnam has been very generous in allowing me to post some photos from the Adenium Festival that is being held there through May 3rd. These were taken while setting up for the show. He mentioned he would provide more soon.

{{gwi:470573}}

{{gwi:470574}}

{{gwi:470575}}

{{gwi:470576}}

randy

Comments (16)

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I meant to say he has been generous in allowing me to post some of "his" photos.

randy

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Wowzers look at those cool blooms. I don't think I want one that large but more power to the people that do. Thanks to both of you for sharing the pics.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

georgeous plants! oh for the day....
    mine is holding on, dropped no leaves after its surgery.
    would love to have a big fatty like those pictured here!
    tfs - jo

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

There are some nice ones there. I'm trying right now to get some fatties imported. Some of those in the photos probably cost more than the truck I drive :-).

This plant won Unique formation
    {{gwi:470577}}
    and this one splendid flowers small
    {{gwi:470579}}
    and this one splendid flowers large
    {{gwi:470580}}
    randy

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Holy moly!

Fantastic pictures; I can only imagine what they look like in person!

Send more!!

Thanks for posting,

Jim

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Awesome pics!! I tried to get a couple of people to go in for some large specimens this spring but had no takers so I just did it myself. It is trivial to import, but for large orders you might need a Customs Broker, depending on the shipper. I wonder if the growers in Vietnam use a similar approach to those in Thailand.....graft multiple branches on, or if they are more in line with the one grower in India I know that grafts once just above the caudex and then you can not see the graft after a few years. Now that I have imported air freight using AFT I might try for some more from a non-Thai source. Best of luck with your imports :o) Dan

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dan

None of these are grafted plants, but cutting grown. I was surprised when told.

I'm not real pleased with the length of time that customs has held some of my plants from Taiwan. I've discovered a grower in Puerto Rico I may start buying a few large plants from to get away from that hassle.

randy

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi Randy, Esteban in PR is very nice if you are buying from him.....I got in 3 of his plants this spring.....I'll try to take pics once they leaf out so that you can see what he sends (I did not buy real big ones from him.....I think standard obesum you could get monsters for a good price)....the grafting is fairly obvious though....these are actually Thai plants as you likely know just coming in through PR. Yeah, Customs can be a hassle at times....I import thousands of plants every year and it is always nerve wracking :o) Dan

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dan

We've exchanged a few emails. I'm going to give him a call when I have some cash:-). I would like to see your plants.

Like you say though, grafts do become difficult to see after a while.

randy

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After studying these photos I'm sure they are cutting grown. None of them have a caudex of any size. It's just roots that have been exposed over many years that makes them look big.

Cuttings are notorious for not devolving a caudex and I guess these photos prove it. The plant that won unique formation was around 40 years old. It looks to have a trunk less than 6-8 inches from the photo.

I have a plant less than 4 years old from seed with a caudex that is over 5 inches now.

randy

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi Randy, Well, I got them in today from PR and one of the three is badly rotted on the main trunk so unfortunately now I get to find out how reputable he really is....you only really find out when things go wrong it seems. I will let you know how he does with a total and unquestioned refund. I think if I get in more of these I will try out my contact in India....the shipping/broker fees will kill you from there though so maybe if you are into it we can combine an order next year :o) Dan

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dan

A badly rotted "thing" really sounds bad. Something like that shouldn't have found itself in a box for the 3 day journey to your place because it didn't just happen on the way.

I'm wanting some big, short stock to do some grafting on. My little friend in Taiwan doesn't speak English, so the few times I've tried to tell him that, it seems to go over the interpreters head and it gets lost in the translation:-). Maybe I should find a student to translate from here and try it that way. I don't have any problems with the little stock.

We can visit on the India thing if I haven't got lucky somewhere else by then.

randy

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi Randy, The grafting is really obvious to be truthful....he immediately responded and said he would replace the plant.....I asked him to send a nice big fatty of a standard A. obesum.....no grafts....I should be able to get a more impressive caudex if it is an ungrafted plant and that is what I am aiming for.....I'm not an Adenium person per se.....I've had a couple for 10 years now and find they can take a monumental amount of abusive behaviour on my part so I thougth I'd try a couple of others that had actually been treated well rather than being left in a 4-5 inch pot for that long....allows me to focus my energies on the tougher plants like the Aroids and now recently my South African Amaryllids.....I got in a large shipment of 500 bulbs two weeks ago....went in with some others that wanted Haemanthus, Scadoxus, Boophane, Brunsvigia and the like. I'll let you know how it turns out.....He seems to be very responsive so far :o) Dan

• khuonghoang
    17 years ago

Hi all,

I'm Khuong from Vietnam. Thanks for your kind words about the plants in the pictures.

Yes, seedlings take less time to grow big than with rooted cuttings. But adenium plants from cuttings have uniqe shapes and look impressive. The plants won Unique Formation big is about 40 years old and the diameter of the trunk is 7 inches, while the diamter of the root system is 40 inches.

To graft mutiple branches of different species on a plant, it'd sound that the plants will give different colours and shapes of flowers but please be kindly advised that the time for a specific specie to bloom is not the same as of the others --> hardly to see all species blooming at one moment. Furthermore, the growth of each is different so that the strong specie may "kill" the growth of weaker species.

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Khoung

I want to thank you again for sharing the pictures. Some of those plants are amazing. I get excited thinking about what my plants might look like in 20 years.

randy

• radovan
    16 years ago

* Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 11, 06 at 21:58

Hi Randy, The grafting is really obvious to be truthful....he immediately responded and said he would replace the plant.....I asked him to send a nice big fatty of a standard A. obesum.....no grafts....I should be able to get a more impressive caudex if it is an ungrafted plant and that is what I am aiming for.....I'm not an Adenium person per se.....I've had a couple for 10 years now and find they can take a monumental amount of abusive behaviour on my part so I thougth I'd try a couple of others that had actually been treated well rather than being left in a 4-5 inch pot for that long....allows me to focus my energies on the tougher plants like the Aroids and now recently my South African Amaryllids.....I got in a large shipment of 500 bulbs two weeks ago....went in with some others that wanted Haemanthus, Scadoxus, Boophane, Brunsvigia and the like. I'll let you know how it turns out.....He seems to be very responsive so far :o) Dan

----------------------------------------------------------
    Please could you explain to me how to expect more impressive caudex in an ungrafted adenium then in a grafted one?
    Are they not the same; grafted and ungrafted caudex? They are not cuttings?
    Thank you

Sponsored