Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_gw

My Succulent Urns

Joyce
17 years ago

Hello everyone!

I finally got around to planting my front walk entrance urns.

(been battling breast cancer, doing Chemo right now)

Got a bunch of cuttings and 'shares' from friends.

(even got a mystery box, still don't know who it was from...but THANKS!)

Here is what they looked like when I finished them yesterday.

{{gwi:470973}}

{{gwi:470975}}

{{gwi:470977}}

{{gwi:470979}}

Can't wait 'til they fill out a bit. :)

Comments (8)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

Succulents are so great in containers, doesn't matter if you miss watering for a few days. And they are just as colourful as flowering annuals! I don't know what they all are, not my type of succulents. Are they all winter hardy ones for you?

• Joyce
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope, not winter hardy.
    I am a professional landscape designer, and have access to a large greenhouse in the winter.

Yup, that's is how I planned it...low water needs. Except for the Phormium in the middle, which is in it's own container so when I water, the succulents barely get anything. Also, going to get a bucket of coarse sand/gravel from work here today and topdress the soil.

Last year I had a bunch of annuals in them (and the Phormium) and had to water them gallons every day. :(

• sjv78736
    17 years ago

great job, joyce! just lovely. will keep you in my thoughts on the medical front. best wishes! jo

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

I am a professional landscape designer

And there's me thinking you were a professional photographer ;)

• Joyce
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jo and shrubs_n_bulbs.
    shrubs_n_bulbs, I am also the photographer for my Landscape Company. :)

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Wow Joyce,

They really are beautiful, planting looks lovely, such a nice assortment of colors/contrasts, now we know why!!!

Sorry to hear your unhappy news, will send healing thoughts your way.

Should you need it (a friend of mine went thru this abt 5 yrs. ago & survived well & learned that) raw fennel (the bulb's leaves, not seeds) when chewed, helped combat nausea.

Hoping you feel lots better very soon.

Warm thoughts your way...

(PG) Karen

• tanyag
    17 years ago

Joyce, if you ever come down my way, please come to my house. Your planters are fabulous. Not only that, but the lawn looks great, too!! I also have had many family and friends survive Breast Cancer, one while I was pregnant. I had awful nausea and used the ginger PreggiePops. She was suffering with the nausea and I gave her one. It helped her a lot. I know that have them at Motherhood if you have those up your way! Prayers are with you.

• Joyce
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Karen and Tanya!
    I have been VERY lucky so far, no nausea, and today I had round 2 of Chemotherapy.
    Karen...that is cool! I grow fennel in my garden as both an herb and ornamental plant!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator