Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
best_botanist

cactus seedlings PLZ

best_botanist
17 years ago

i was wondering if any one had some cactus or succulent seedling pictures, they would like to share

Comments (10)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

How many do you want? Any species preference?

• best_botanist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

it dont matter, any kind of catus seeedlings would be nice, just post away

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

All pictures, copyright me.

Escobaria alversonii, 2 months old
    {{gwi:471006}}

Astrophytum asterias, 2 months old
    {{gwi:471009}}

Astrophytum asterias, 6 months old
    {{gwi:471011}}

Tephrocactus geometricus, 1 month old
    {{gwi:471013}}

Gymnocalycium mesopotamicum (mostly!), 3 months old
    {{gwi:471015}}

Lophophora williamsii, 3 months old
    {{gwi:471017}}

• chuy415
    17 years ago

how do you get or start a seedling of cacti or succulents?
    i have been curious?
    those pictures shrubs n bulbs posted are soooooo cute!

• vvdo
    17 years ago

The link below is to a post I made @ BCSS forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedlings at 43 days old

• vvdo
    17 years ago

chuy415,

If you are looking for a source of seed, check the link below. I have ordered the above through them, very cheap way to get plants that you can't normally find.

Then there's the question of how to start them. Before I begin, note that I have only tried sowing seeds 3x, the first an almost total failure, and the second fairly successful and the 3rd is above, still young...
    Most cacti seeds need moisture, some light (direct sun will toast them), and a semi-sterile environment. I grow my plants indoor and under flourescent lights. I place moist substrate (50% potting soil, 50% perlite) in a microwave oven in their pots already for about 5-10 minutes to kill any insects, and to decrease the load of potential disease. In the meantime, while they cool, I soak the seeds in a fungicide just to clean them. Then I soak the pots with water (you may boil the water and let it cool, but I use plain water) and sprinkle the seeds on the surface. I then cover each pot with saran wrap and place them in a propagator. Once the seeds have germinated and begin to show growth, I take the plastic off, but keep the propagator top on. Once I notice the surface begin to dry, I give it a sprinkle of water and about every 1-2 weeks I spray lightly with a fungicide.

Some cacti seeds need cold treatment, some need their seed coat nicked called stratification. Other succulents need cooler temperatures. These you have to look up to be sure.

• best_botanist
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the pictures, keep them coming, pretty interesting

• vvdo
    17 years ago

Sorry, just realized I didn't leave a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesa Garden

• swiss_1
    17 years ago

Unlike Shrubs I have no idea what my seedlings are. They are from a packet of mixed C&S seeds.

Here are the seedlings that I planted in September, now pricked out into their own space.

{{gwi:471019}}

And some close ups...

{{gwi:471021}}

{{gwi:471023}}

Here are some seeds I planted in March....

These first ones are definately Mamms, but who knows which kind. They look tiny compared to the lithop seedlings in the background.

{{gwi:471026}}

{{gwi:471029}}

Swiss

• chuy415
    17 years ago

vvdo,
    Thank you very much for the helpful info. Now i'm more clear on how to get/start seedlings. thanks again and i may try it in the future.

chuy