Pieter

Comments (12)

• socks
    17 years ago

Just lovely!

• hablu
    17 years ago

Neat flowers Pieter.
    Could you tell some more about the name of the last one? Strange name in the cactusworld don't you think. My imagination jumps to a lady in old fashioned costume on wooden shoes somewhere in the desert finding this species.
    greetz hablu

• Pieter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    This last one is a Dutch cultivar, not a true species. That's also the reason teh name Antje is written between the accents.
    Pieter

• luthien79
    17 years ago

Nice flowers and photos.

Thanks for posting. I like the mamm saboae and it has been on my list of wants for a while as I like the large flowering mamms.

Toni-Marie

• Pieter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Toni-Marie, This saboae is not very easy to find in Europe, but its close relative haudeana shouldn't be too difficult. Shall I buy one for you next time I'm at De Herdt? They usually have this species for sale.
    Pieter

• luthien79
    17 years ago

Hello

I owe you some plants still, don't I? You know I still have a bunch sitting here intended for you and they have grown a bit since I first put them aside, haha.

I'll email you privately to give more details of what I have to send and then get them sent off......finally...

Since my collection has grown quite a lot and space is limited, I have now limited myself to certain types of cacti that I like the best. I like blooms so anything that is a good bloomer is in and also a few more perculiar types that are interesting in their own right...without blooms.

Large flowering mamms are one of the types I go for with the added bonus of them being small and compact and many of them are also choice species.
    I just recieved mamm albicans today which I got off ebay.

I know of plenty of online nurseries in the UK that do Mamm saboae, I just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet, lol.

Also, my sister and I keep looking at that A. Asterias you sent me and it is looking more like a super kabuto all the time. It hasn't got much less flecking on it than the super kabuto that Gringo sent me.
    I should take a photo and let you look.

Toni-Marie

• Pieter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Or else I could come to get them at your place ;-)
    Yes about that A. asterias, I bought the seeds as being normal asterias but I also think they must have been polluted with super kabuto genes. I still have 4 left from that batch and they all look great. One of them only has 7 ribs, another has flecks in lines along the ribs (like a haku-jo, but not as strong). It might become a beautiful plant ;-) But nothing compared with the superkabuto I got from Gringo (plant from Miles) as that plant is almost completely white...

Pieter

• dvl_
    17 years ago

Pieter,

I cannot get my Mamm saboae to bloom ( not that I really know what to do but look at it & wonder?? LOL) I just don't know whether to kick in more water or not right now.

dvl

• ariole
    17 years ago

That's as fine a set of flowers on the E. hastatus as I've yet seen. Thanks for that post and the others as well.

Al

• luthien79
    17 years ago

Haha, yes, if you want to come here and collect them, you're welcome, lol.

I sent you an email with the list if plants. There are quite a variety including echinopsis hybrids, rebutia hybrids, noto, pachphytum that you wanted, lobivia, chamaelobivia and more.

My kabuto from Gringo is still only small yet and I know that their markings develop as they mature so I'm waiting to see how that one turns out.

Have you heard anything from Gringo lately? I know he lost a lot of plants to the cold the winter before last but I've not seen or heard from him in ages.

Toni-Marie

• Pieter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm Gringo seems to have disappeared from the internet. The last time I heard from him was last autumn I think. I have my doubts he's still much into cacti. Not sure, just thinking...

• Pieter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My saboae has been watered only twice this season, so lack of water won't be your problem I suppose...

Sponsored