Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cassula ovata Gets a New Home

Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 13:22

This plant, although not a favorite, has been allowed to mingle with those of higher status:-). Here it is last winter doing it's thing.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yesterday, after much consideration, the stepchild was moved to the work bench and officially declared a team player.
A few minutes later and all was done. A fine new home of a handmade round pot and a little makeover to spread the growth out a little and help stabilize it in the pot from the gale force winds we have here. Plant is about 22 inches tall and has about a 3 inch diameter trunk.
randy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cassula ovata Gets a New Home

That's a very nice-looking plant, and the wall makes a good background for it. Has its status risen a little, now that it is a team player?

o

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 9, 06 at 16:49

biwako

Thank you.

Yes. Honor has come to my little friend :-).

I put it in the round pot because I knew it would be difficult for a time to decide from what side it would look best from. This may be the one for now. It will probably change in a few months after some pruning.
randy

o

another beauty! well done. jo

o

Randy, I ~like~ it, but I'll be interested to see what you do with it in time.

Personally, I don't much care for the second trunk in the last picture. I think I'd try to seperate out the two crowns of the trunks a bit more.

OR- Loose the second trunk and have the Y facing photo be the front.

But that's just my novice 2 cents:)

-Michael

o

Fri, May 12, 06 at 13:25

Hi Michael

The second trunk will add character down the road. Try to picture a low rounded canopy that covers the entire top of the plant where you can't distinguish where one plant starts and one plant ends. Think of them a two pieces in a puzzle that look very awkward if not together. In bonsai, if these were bonsai, it's called mother/daughter. One dominant plant with a smaller one in close proximity filling a void or adding to the character of the original plant.

The idea of showing the y as the front may work for you and be a good one, but in my mind that is a difficult style to pull off. It's too symmetrical for my tastes. I have a hard time with the idea of potting a slingshot:-).

Appreciate your thoughts.

randy

o

Sat, May 13, 06 at 13:28

Michael

Spent about 30-40 minutes this morning opening the plant up a little and then some wiring. This should give you a better idea of what I'm wanting to do with it down the road.
randy

o

Wow, Randy you have such talent with the wire and pruning.
I've seen quite a few pics of your jades. What do you do with them all? Keep them all to prune and wire or pass them on to others? They are all very beautiful. I always love seeing your pics. Thank you for posting them.

WindsurfGirl

o

Sun, May 14, 06 at 20:00

Hi WindsurfGirl

Thank you for the kind words!

All the plants I show here are mine and stay in my possession until death do us part :-). Thankfully I have a greenhouse still big enough to handle it. I have other plants that find new homes on a regular basis.

The last photo is the back of the plant. Hopefully I can finish up the front of it tomorrow.

randy

o

Randy,

Now that, I like much better! I can clearly see what you are after with the canopy now. Thanks for the pic and explanation.

Be sure to post a pic of the front once you finish it.

PS- Are you going to leave it in the round pot or change it to an oval pot?

-Michael

o

Tue, May 16, 06 at 15:24

Hi Michael

I finished it up for a while today. It will stay in the round pot for a few years and I may ask a local artist to fire a pot for it then.

randy

o

It would appear that I lack your vision, Randy. You should give lessons:)

The change in that plant is spectacular!! Kudos man. Another nice one.

:)
-Michael

o

Wed, May 17, 06 at 11:44

Thanks Michael.

I actually have done a number of workshops in the past. It pays well, but not my bag of tea. I love the internet and the ability to interact with people in this format, BUT I am not a people person. I have no people skills, but I do on occasion type decently and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express:-).

randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here