Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Cassula ovata Gets a New Home

rjj1
17 years ago

This plant, although not a favorite, has been allowed to mingle with those of higher status:-). Here it is last winter doing it's thing.

{{gwi:471242}}

Yesterday, after much consideration, the stepchild was moved to the work bench and officially declared a team player.

{{gwi:471243}}

A few minutes later and all was done. A fine new home of a handmade round pot and a little makeover to spread the growth out a little and help stabilize it in the pot from the gale force winds we have here. Plant is about 22 inches tall and has about a 3 inch diameter trunk.

{{gwi:471244}}

randy

Comments (12)

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

That's a very nice-looking plant, and the wall makes a good background for it. Has its status risen a little, now that it is a team player?

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

biwako

Thank you.

Yes. Honor has come to my little friend :-).

I put it in the round pot because I knew it would be difficult for a time to decide from what side it would look best from. This may be the one for now. It will probably change in a few months after some pruning.
    {{gwi:471246}}
    randy

• sjv78736
    17 years ago

another beauty! well done. jo

• rhodostom
    17 years ago

Randy, I ~like~ it, but I'll be interested to see what you do with it in time.

Personally, I don't much care for the second trunk in the last picture. I think I'd try to seperate out the two crowns of the trunks a bit more.

OR- Loose the second trunk and have the Y facing photo be the front.

But that's just my novice 2 cents:)

-Michael

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Michael

The second trunk will add character down the road. Try to picture a low rounded canopy that covers the entire top of the plant where you can't distinguish where one plant starts and one plant ends. Think of them a two pieces in a puzzle that look very awkward if not together. In bonsai, if these were bonsai, it's called mother/daughter. One dominant plant with a smaller one in close proximity filling a void or adding to the character of the original plant.

The idea of showing the y as the front may work for you and be a good one, but in my mind that is a difficult style to pull off. It's too symmetrical for my tastes. I have a hard time with the idea of potting a slingshot:-).

Appreciate your thoughts.

randy

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michael

Spent about 30-40 minutes this morning opening the plant up a little and then some wiring. This should give you a better idea of what I'm wanting to do with it down the road.
    {{gwi:471248}}
    randy

• Lynn
    17 years ago

Wow, Randy you have such talent with the wire and pruning.
    I've seen quite a few pics of your jades. What do you do with them all? Keep them all to prune and wire or pass them on to others? They are all very beautiful. I always love seeing your pics. Thank you for posting them.

WindsurfGirl

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi WindsurfGirl

Thank you for the kind words!

All the plants I show here are mine and stay in my possession until death do us part :-). Thankfully I have a greenhouse still big enough to handle it. I have other plants that find new homes on a regular basis.

The last photo is the back of the plant. Hopefully I can finish up the front of it tomorrow.

randy

• rhodostom
    17 years ago

Randy,

Now that, I like much better! I can clearly see what you are after with the canopy now. Thanks for the pic and explanation.

Be sure to post a pic of the front once you finish it.

PS- Are you going to leave it in the round pot or change it to an oval pot?

-Michael

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Michael

I finished it up for a while today. It will stay in the round pot for a few years and I may ask a local artist to fire a pot for it then.

{{gwi:471255}}
    randy

• rhodostom
    17 years ago

It would appear that I lack your vision, Randy. You should give lessons:)

The change in that plant is spectacular!! Kudos man. Another nice one.

:)
    -Michael

• rjj1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Michael.

I actually have done a number of workshops in the past. It pays well, but not my bag of tea. I love the internet and the ability to interact with people in this format, BUT I am not a people person. I have no people skills, but I do on occasion type decently and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express:-).

randy

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner