Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Orostachys pic

ariole
16 years ago

Posting this just for fun. Hope you like it.

Clic on pic for larger image

Al

{{gwi:471316}}

Comments (20)

• jeromej13
    16 years ago

I want one !

• milwdave
    16 years ago

This is Orostachys? I have never seen a variegated one...it's SO cool. and if Orostachys, probably hardy here. ;)

May I ask where you found this?

Dave
    Zone5
    Milwaukee

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, it was a gift from another collector.

Orostachys malacophyllus v. iwarenge 'Fuji'

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

Looks tasty, mint flavoured perhaps ;)

• mynt494
    16 years ago

How adorable! ^^

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Thanks Al...I'll have to look around...;)

Dave
    Milwaukee

• harmony_2007
    16 years ago

Is it possible to NOT like this one?! I think it looks wonderful!

• milwdave
    16 years ago

And Hardy! out door hardy!

• ooojen
    16 years ago

It's adorable, Al!

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gosh!!!

I'm sure happy you all like this one.
    Dave, not wanting to rain/snow on any parade, but I seriously doubt if it's hardy in zone5. I'm in zone7 and keep this treasure inside.

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

O. iwarenge is hardy here Al. I have yet to find an Orostachys that is not. ;) Check your source on this one. I think you might be surprised, especially in zone 7. I currently have malacophyllus, iwarenge, fimbriatus, spinosum, spinosum minor, and some Skrocki(sp) hybrids. All are hardy so far.

Dave
    Milwaukee
    a frigid zone 5 (hehehe)

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, should my plant prove hardy or not, I'm ultra impressed with your list of Orostachys. If time permits and you have the inclination, would you be so kind as to post pics of some of yours? Please.

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I sure will

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Just beautiful, charming variegation: lusting from afar!

I first saw these a couple of yrs. ago & though I'd try some, but heard they need strong light, perhaps as much as Crassulas, which don't work so well for me here in NYC.

Can you confirm or deny pls. if they need strong light or not?

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I grow outside under light shade in summer. This one can be a real pita to maintain. No offsetts unless the growing point is destroyed. Doesn't come variegated from seed so when it blooms, without offsetts, it's done.

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

How cold do you keep your's Al? As you would a Semp? Do you have any more of interest?

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, forgive me for being dense.

All my Semps are outside all year with less sun than I might like -- 10 till 2 or so.

You ask if I have any more of interest. Are you referring to Orostachys? I have 3 or 4 surviving kinds but no longer with names. The diversity of my c&s inside is the collection of one gone out of control. The list of hardy cacti living in pots outside is much more limited.

Probably not what you were seeking.

Al

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A fun pic:

{{gwi:471318}}

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I will have to take some pics of mine and send them or post here. Some Orostachys do better than others for me. All of mine are planted outdoors in my cactus garden. But for your variegata I would say definitely do not risk it this way. Most iwarenge that I have seen send out massive numbers of offsets on their own...if this does not then it is too valuable to risk it blooming. Is there anyplace commercial that sells Orostachys? I hardly ever see them offered. Even Squaw Mountain is limited this year. I love these plants, as you can tell.;)

Dave

• drtygdnr
    16 years ago

That is a great looking plant. It very closley resembles Echeveria subsessilis 'variegated'.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville