Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help id this amazing cactus

Posted by christos Cyprus (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 15:44

These pictures were taken just minutes ago. This is an amazing cactus that I have for years in my collection. I repotted it last year and it has really taken off. This year it is rewarding me with what you see in the pics. Amazing! Now all I need is its name. I would appreciate your help.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help id this amazing cactus

It's a very old and happy Echinopsis, not sure which because there are so many. Someone may know.

Jen

o

oh my goodness! that is one of the most gorgeous pics i've seen lately!

-ming

o

Gorgeous, yes. Echinopsis, no.

I don't recognize it, but think it's likely a Cleistocactus.

o

Dear Christos,

As Brad noted, it's not an Echinopsis, which are globular. Yours seems like it would be at home in a rainforest, or in a tropical setting.

Since it is a night-bloomer, my vote would be a Harrisia.

It is indeed a gorgeous plant - how lucky you are.

o

Hi,
I would be thinking of Nyctocereus serpentinus (= Peniocereus serpentinus). This is a very similar night blooming plant.
Pieter

o

Thanks for the input everyone. It seems that Pieter has it right. I did some research on the net following his suggestion and it matches.
Jeff, I used to think that this is a Harrisia tetracantha but apparently it isn't.

Christos

o

Lovely plant.

Be sure to post more photos when more of those buds open, lol.

Toni-Marie

o

WOW!!!!! That is beautiful and wonderful!! I've never seen one like that before.

Deb

o

Hi, I have two that are around 6 inches tall, adult fully rooted cuttings with pups starting. Available if anyones interested!

Thanks, farmerted361

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here