Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aztcqn

My Herd of Pricklys in FLower

aztcqn
10 years ago

Hi,
Love gardens, Spring and collecting beautiful flowering plants from roses to cactus.
I'm especially fascinated by these humble green balls of armor. Who would think they hold such an amazing variety of hues and size in blooms!

I just thought I'd start my own thread with pics of my cactus in flower. Humble beginnings.
:]
The little rebutia naruaznesis has almost 4 days it first opened. Still wide as the first day.

Comments (17)

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also picked up a yellow rebutia with no name, just says it's a hybrid. It's chock full of buds.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought a echinocreues rubispinus. Flower shape not quite what I expected (wanted rounder, flatter), but still pretty.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a blooming epi. Sigh, one of many that have lost tags.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I'd include an orchid because it's survived as long as it has in my yard - it needs a little recognition. :]

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Love the incredible colors.
    K

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul,

It's been in my yard for decades...so, long I forgot it's name! Yes, it is Jewel Box "Dark Waters". Thanks for reminding me and for the leaf/bulb color indications. It was in a bad location, months before. Now it's in a much cooler spot with broken light canopy above it. I am in the process of revitalizing my collection - repotting, movin' plant genera around to suitable light conditions, etc. I will take better care of this orchid.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Beautiful bloomers & plants, aztcqn! =) Thanks for the show!

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Enterotoxigenic (handle sounds ominous) ;]
    rosemariero

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:11

• notolover
    10 years ago

Lovely, lovely flowers. I haven't ever attempted an Orchid, but I really like the flowers.

Love the color of the last flowers!

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi notolover,
    Thanks!

I used to work at an orchid nursery, years ago, and became enamored with exotics since then.
    Actually my first interest in growing anything as a group were cactuses. Decades ago, I had several no -names, but the flowers were so charming. They were probably lobelia or echinopsis. I lost most through improper care - grew them like California desert cactus and let the rains have them in winter. :[

But, with knowledge and re-newed interest, I'v set aside an area to grow the echinopsis beauties I didn't know were so acquirable.

Here's my first Schick blooms -Serape which has a 4 inch flower!
    {{gwi:471952}}

KT Event, slightly smaller than
    {{gwi:471953}}

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:27

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple of pics of a cutie I picked up at Cactus Ranch in Reseda, CA.

Gymnocalciums seedlings, no names. First one shot with flash.
    {{gwi:471954}}
    {{gwi:471956}}

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:28

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Question: I have a bottle of Seagreen fertilizer 2.3.2 which I'm using at 1/2 strength on all the cactus.
    Has anyone used this percentage on echinopsis?

Also have Colorburst 15.30.10 I know it's recommended for epiphyllums, any experience used on echinopsis?

I also have a bag of 16.16.16 granular? All purpose. Seems I can use it as Osmocote once a month on echinopsis. Any suggestions?

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:42

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My no name rebutia has flowered en mass again. I love these little plants.

This is the first flush.
    {{gwi:471958}}

This is the 2nd flush.
    {{gwi:471960}}

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:38

• notolover
    10 years ago

I use Tiger Bloom on my Echinopsis: the numbers are 2-8-4; and I have a bunch of buds setting now.

I never used to get a lot of flowers until I started using it.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thank you, notolover. I'm currently revamping my culturing practices in view of all the new additions and old.

• aztcqn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This Spring I've noticed this little guy s no longer that.
    My rebutia naruaznesis has hulked out since last summer!

Crazy difference as it's grown 3 times the size I bought it at AND instead of 2 flowers it now sports 40 buds! LOVE this little guy.