Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Herd of Pricklys in FLower

Posted by aztcqn (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 19:00

Hi,
Love gardens, Spring and collecting beautiful flowering plants from roses to cactus.
I'm especially fascinated by these humble green balls of armor. Who would think they hold such an amazing variety of hues and size in blooms!

I just thought I'd start my own thread with pics of my cactus in flower. Humble beginnings.
:]
The little rebutia naruaznesis has almost 4 days it first opened. Still wide as the first day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Herd of Pricklys in FLower

Also picked up a yellow rebutia with no name, just says it's a hybrid. It's chock full of buds.

o

I bought a echinocreues rubispinus. Flower shape not quite what I expected (wanted rounder, flatter), but still pretty.

o

Here's a blooming epi. Sigh, one of many that have lost tags.

o

Thought I'd include an orchid because it's survived as long as it has in my yard - it needs a little recognition. :]

o

Nice cacti flowers and a very nice orchid too. Happen to know what the name of the orchid is? Looks like it might be Slc Jewelbox 'Dark Waters'.

Judging by the orchid's color, it could use a bit less sun if you can manage that. Orchid leaf and pseudobulb color will inform you of how you are doing with respect to light levels. Dark green indicates it would like quite a bit more light than it is receiving. Light green means you are right in the neighborhood of what it wants. Chartreuse/yellowish-green (or light green with a purple blush to the foliage or purple speckles) indicates you are at the upper threshold of its light requirement. Yellow -- as in the color of yours -- indicates that that light intensity is very close to the burning/killing point.

o

Love the incredible colors.
K

o

Paul,

It's been in my yard for decades...so, long I forgot it's name! Yes, it is Jewel Box "Dark Waters". Thanks for reminding me and for the leaf/bulb color indications. It was in a bad location, months before. Now it's in a much cooler spot with broken light canopy above it. I am in the process of revitalizing my collection - repotting, movin' plant genera around to suitable light conditions, etc. I will take better care of this orchid.

o

Beautiful bloomers & plants, aztcqn! =) Thanks for the show!

o

Thank you Enterotoxigenic (handle sounds ominous) ;]
rosemariero

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:11

o

Lovely, lovely flowers. I haven't ever attempted an Orchid, but I really like the flowers.

Love the color of the last flowers!

o

Hi notolover,
Thanks!

I used to work at an orchid nursery, years ago, and became enamored with exotics since then.
Actually my first interest in growing anything as a group were cactuses. Decades ago, I had several no -names, but the flowers were so charming. They were probably lobelia or echinopsis. I lost most through improper care - grew them like California desert cactus and let the rains have them in winter. :[

But, with knowledge and re-newed interest, I'v set aside an area to grow the echinopsis beauties I didn't know were so acquirable.

Here's my first Schick blooms -Serape which has a 4 inch flower!
 photo DSC_0011copy.jpg

KT Event, slightly smaller than
 photo DSC_0012copy.jpg

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:27

o

A couple of pics of a cutie I picked up at Cactus Ranch in Reseda, CA.

Gymnocalciums seedlings, no names. First one shot with flash.
 photo DSC_0010copy.jpg
 photo DSC_0003copy.jpg

This post was edited by aztcqn on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:28

o

Question: I have a bottle of Seagreen fertilizer 2.3.2 which I'm using at 1/2 strength on all the cactus.
Has anyone used this percentage on echinopsis?

Also have Colorburst 15.30.10 I know it's recommended for epiphyllums, any experience used on echinopsis?

I also have a bag of 16.16.16 granular? All purpose. Seems I can use it as Osmocote once a month on echinopsis. Any suggestions?

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:42

o

My no name rebutia has flowered en mass again. I love these little plants.

This is the first flush.
 photo DSC_0002.jpg

This is the 2nd flush.
 photo yllw1copy.jpg

This post was edited by aztcqn on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 16:38

o

I use Tiger Bloom on my Echinopsis: the numbers are 2-8-4; and I have a bunch of buds setting now.

I never used to get a lot of flowers until I started using it.

o

Oh, thank you, notolover. I'm currently revamping my culturing practices in view of all the new additions and old.

o
RE: Grow Spurt!

This Spring I've noticed this little guy s no longer that.
My rebutia naruaznesis has hulked out since last summer!

Crazy difference as it's grown 3 times the size I bought it at AND instead of 2 flowers it now sports 40 buds! LOVE this little guy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here