Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anya_101

Here is my Echinopsis also

anya_101
17 years ago

This year she had 47 blooms open up so far. This is what they look like when you remove the babies as they appear. The plant concentrates on itself & taller growth when potted. She is probably around 9-10 years old now, but unsure, possibly younger. Easy for me to loose track of time. I thought she was done growing when she reached 3' mark, but still growing. The plant now has 3 growth looking heads on it. This has been a good year so far, as instead of the blooms dying off the next morning when sun hit them, they lasted for two full days & nights. Going to be potting into a bigger pot once blooms are done & plucked off this next week.

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: several photos tossed here

Comments (8)

• whskyfan
    17 years ago

I have some that have had the pups taken off as you mentioned, but they haven't grown as fast as yours. The tallest I have is about 1' and it is probably 7 years old or so, I'm not very good with time either. Beautiful plant you have there.
    Jim

• milwdave
    17 years ago

There's just "something" about Echinopsis. Those hollow flowers just intrigue me. Where does one get these beautiful hybrids?

Dave
    Milwaukee

• luthien79
    17 years ago

Beautiful plant.

Very tall as well. I have one about a foot tall that somebody gave me last year but it had never flowered for them apart from one time and they said the flower was scarlet which is intriguing. It has 5 buds on it at the moment. It was taller but I had to bury quite a bit of it in the compost because it was growing to one side and kept falling over. It is also a prolific pup producer.

Toni-Marie

• paul_dvorak
    17 years ago

I do believe the tall one is Echinopsis "Los Angeles" a hybrid of unknown origin that was grown for years in the L.A. area of California and was named by Echinopsis hybrid pioneer Harry Johnson and offered in his catalog years ago.

• luthien79
    17 years ago

Yes, I thought it looked like 'Los Angeles' also.

The plant body on that hybrid has a unique look somehow and your plant has that look.

Toni-Marie

• anya_101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Paul & Toni-Marie, it is Echinopsis "Los Angeles"... & yes, you do get to running out of friends & family to give them to after a while. I am forever tossing my offsets out into the yard, as soon as I see them. Just gave away two yearlings yesterday that needed homes & still got a couple more....Dave, email me your address!

Jim, E."Los Angeles" seems the easiest to grow. They seem to handle much more water, fertilizer, and even can be grown in reg. potting soil, unlike all my other cacti. All of mine have spent thier lives growing under these circumstances and you can see the results. They get fertilized rather regularly. Your is very beautiful Jim, your doing something right. : )

Toni, I am also intrigued about the color on yours so make sure you post it. I would love to get ahold of some "non-typical hybrids of Echinopsis. Other than this, the yellow & white I already have. I'd like to find some red or orange or something. Save me a baby or two, if they are different!! I may have something around here to make you a deal for them.

Thank you all for the very nice comments.

Rose

• luthien79
    17 years ago

I'll be sure to post it when it flowers. When it comes to swapping, I can't really do it with anybody outside the European Union anymore. We have to put return addresses on all parcels now so I don't want to risk sending something falsely declared and all plants are governed by the CITES regulations now when sending internationally. Even hybrids.

I have over 100 Echinopsis hybrids with flowers of all different colours. I'll be posting photos of them when they start blooming. Many of them have buds. I have Los Angeles too but mine is only a smaller plant.

Still, you will be able to obtain hybrids over your way easy enough.
    You can order some schick hybrids from the ISI huntington website. Have a look at their plant catalogue with the photos.
    Also, miles 2 go do some hybrids and their plants, service and prices are very good. They don't ship outside the U.S but I did have somebody in the U.S order some stuff for me then send them here themselves.

Also, try google and look for online cactus nurseries in the U.S who do mail order and then look in their plant lists. I'm sure you'll find quite a few who have echinopsis and trichopsis hybrids in their lists.
    Thats how I found more sources over here in the UK before finding fellow collectors and getting myself into an echinopsis hybrid swap group where we exchange surplus pups and stuff.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Toni-Marie

• anya_101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great Toni-Marie!
    Thanks so much for the help in locating some of them too. I will be doing some checking & can't wait to see your posts. : )

Rose

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH