Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbyo_gw

Please help identify - Thanks! ;o)

DebbyO
16 years ago

I was given this piece of cactus recently. I would like ot know what it is, and also how to properly root it. I have it in some regular soil right now with a little sand mixed in. The bottom was already dried up and scabbed over when I got it. I was wondering if I should re-cut the bottem where it will go into the soil. Should I keep watering it until I am sure it is rooted? Also, does it need direct full sunlight during the summer months, or is it OK to put it in a sunny disposition - like possibly on a windowsill inside the house?

Thanks and sincerely,

Deb

Image link:

Comments (8)

• caudex1
    16 years ago

It's a Euphorbia of some sort, other than that I don't know.

• anya_101
    16 years ago

Do not re-cut bottom and do not water it.....just place is some well draining soil and forget about it for a couple weeks. It will grow roots on it's own without any help. You don't want to water it till you kno there are roots starting to grow. You can check that by giving a "slight" tug on it and see if it is adhearing to the soil somewhat. You will be able to tell without removing it from the pot.

• DebbyO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After a little more research, I do not think it is a type of euphorbia,..... it looks like a cactus from the acanthocerus group. Thanks for the tips on rooting it to get it going again. ;o)

Sincerely,

Deb

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

I'm 99% sure this is a Euphorbia, 95% sure it is Euphorbia lactea.

• DebbyO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks shrubs n bulbs! Now that I looked up the euphorbia type you mentioned, it looks very much like it. It has that variegated color or look to it. My friend got the plant from Lowe's in the cactus (house plant ?)section, but lost the tag. I can still see why I thought it was from the acanthocerus group of cacti. They do look remarkably similar. Thanks for helping clear that up for me!

Gardenweb is the best - but what makes it the best are very knowledgeable people like you! ;o) And kudos also go out to caudex1 and anya 101. I very much appreciate your input as well.

Take care all - and happy gardening! ;o)

Sincerely,

Deb

• draw_me
    16 years ago

I have a healthy specimen about 20" tall, with multiple branches. It too has the patterned green varigation, and I have it identified as Euphorbia trigona.

Regards,Pal.

• pauline_wa
    16 years ago

Yes E trigona is definitely the one... And you'll always know it's an Euphorbia if you damage the flesh it will have a white milky sap.. Can cause skin irritations in some people..
    Pauline

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Definately E. lactea, not E. trigona. If one searches for & compares pix of the two, one can see that E. trigona sprouts leaves off the sides of its columnar growth, while E. lactea does not.

I'd hold back water 'til you see new growth (a better indicator that it's rooted than tugging at it).

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer