Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave Type? Blooming

Posted by janan16 8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 13:27

This is a very pretty (I think) agave type succulent that has beautiful salmon colored bloom. Hummingbirds flock to this. Can anyone give me a "for sure" ID on it? Even small ones bloom and it does not die after blooming. I may have some of this to trade, but I wanted to know what it is before I do. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave Type? Blooming

Jan,

That's an Aloe - Aloe saponaria, is my guess- not an Agave.

o

Definitely Aloe. Possibly maculata = saponaria.

o

And Paracelsus opens the can of worms I've never been able to afix in my mind - the Spotted Aloes of Southern Africa.

And I did not know that the maculate A. saponaria is also known as A. maculata. Well, everyone knows a plant worth its cambrium has at least two names, if not more.

o

Thanks to both of you!!! I could not have found it without your help. I love the internet:

Aloe saponaria, aka soap aloe or African aloe, has a rosette that is up to 1-1/2' tall and about the same width with lance-shaped leaves that are thick and succulent, armed on the margin by sharp, dark-brown teeth, and pale green with white blotches or spots. The name comes from the Latin sapo for soap, and saponaceus means soapy. Sap from the succulent leaves makes a sudsy foam in water and thus can be used as a soap substitute. Its synonymous name maculata refers to the white spots on the leaves. Soap aloe is native to arid regions of South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe, and is a very drought-tolerant species. During the summer it sends up a branched stalk about 2' tall, bearing showy tubular yellow, orange or red flowers. It propagates by producing little "pup" rosettes around the main one

o

Jan,

If you ever get a chance to see it in the suburbs of San Diego (which, you will grant me, is closer than Cape Town) you will know the truth of the last sentence in your description above - it's enthusiastically puppiferous.

o

It's quite prolific up here in Contra Costa County as well.It turns a little reddish in the high heat of summer and I always smile at our climate here...we can just about grow anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here