Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Hardy rock garden succulent

ariole
16 years ago

A hardy rock garden succulent -- can you name it?

Al

{{gwi:473308}}

Comments (14)

• milwdave
    16 years ago

hehe...sedum perhaps...or rosularia?

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're warm, Dave. It's a cousin to the Sedums and Rosularias. That's a Rosularia on the very right side of the pic.

It's been happy in one of my old troughs for a few years and it's starting to bloom this week.

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

well it doesn't look like any Orostachys i've seen.:)

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was hoping the flowers would be the clue to this genus.

No, not Orostachys. My Orostachys tend to bloom in Autumn.

I have some Orostachys pics to post for your criticism, Dave.

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I just KNOW this is going to turn out to be something I should know...LOL Give it up, Al...I'm curious now. :) I do like the red in white flowers though and they do look familiar. But, yes, the flower habit is not right for Orostachys.

I did have that rosularia at one time also..but fried it I think. It did not survive our summer. Could you tell me the name of the rosularia also?

Dave

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, it's a form of Crassula setulosa 'Milfordiae'.

The other is Rosularia sedoides var . alba. It goes into bloom mode a bit later in the season.

{{gwi:473309}}

btw, I'm hoping to find someone willing to part with a start of Rosularia platyphyla. A fawn feasted on my little plant and left none for me.

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

I used to have R. platyphylla but lost it during the summer again...They don't seem to like our hot weather. Do you have any Talinums?

Dave

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dave, when I retired and moved here, I brought a large and treasured collection of alpines. Hot and humid summers did some in fast. Others took several summers to die, but die they did.

I have one Talinum. I'll look for pics.

Al

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Talinum -

some old pics -

They are in a blooming frenzy right now. My pics need updated. I should have seed to share.

Al

{{gwi:473310}}
    {{gwi:473311}}
    {{gwi:473312}}

• milwdave
    16 years ago

Talinums are easy for me here, AL. Although they are kind of weedy. One that isn't though is a self sterile hybrid mini called 'Tiny Pearls'. It doesn't grow over 2 inches high and blooms all summer in pink. It's pretty cool. I'll have to strike some cuttings of it.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• ariole
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tiny Pearls sounds like a winner, Dave. I sure like the non-invasive nature of the plant.

Is it fully hardy?

Al

• milwdave
    16 years ago

here it is totally hardy...it is planted in my cactus garden. Most Talinums I have tried can take it, Al. :) Also I'm finding many of the Delospermas are doing well here. This is unusual because others have said they do not. I do allow the leaves to cover them in the fall which seems to pull them through our brief periods of cold but snowless periods. I intend to try the other mesembs that are reported hardy as well...allowing the same leaf coverage and see how they do here.

Dave

• cfishatwork
    11 years ago

I know this is a very old post but can you tell me where you got the T. var. tiny pearls?
    C

• drdna
    10 years ago

Hi! I live in Z4b in Québec and I already have a cacti garden where I grow about 20 or 25 varieties of cactus but I would like to know what non-cacti succulents or mesembs I could also grow in our cold and wet winter.

Dan

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler