Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milwdave

a few hardy Opuntias in bloom today

milwdave
16 years ago

Here's a few from my cactus garden in Zone 5 Milwaukee...I hope this works ;)

Opuntia polyacantha:

{{gwi:473584}}

Opuntia x Claude Arno, I think.:

{{gwi:473585}}

And finally, an uknown (any suggestions?):

{{gwi:473586}}

(hehe...it worked :) )

Comments (7)

• webkat5
    16 years ago

Wow! I am impressed!

I went to a Cacti and Succulent show last Saturday and picked up a few hardy Opuntias myself...

Opuntia fragilis var. sydowiana

Opuntia rutila(ns)

xeranthrum gold spine no dot - any ideas what this might be??? (not sure what this one is supposed to be...don't think I wrote the name down properly)

Opuntia macrorhiza (pink)

Opuntia fragilis v. denudata (Marble cactus)

Opuntia imbricata variegata (copper flowers) (Cholla)

Opuntia imbricata alba (Cholla)

Opuntia kleiniae (Cholla) - Bronze-Purple

Opuntia engelmannii var. engelmannii (extra large)

• DebbyO
    16 years ago

Would you be able to spare a pad or two from your pink variety Optunia Polycantha - showcased in the pictures above? Is that one also referred to as 'Carmin'? I have the variety Optunia Compressa I believe, which is the one with the gorgeous yellow fiery flowers. I would love to have a hearty pink variety as well next to it. I can pay for postage - no problem! Please let me know if you can help me out with my request.
    If you live in WI, I am sure Polycantha will do very well in Indiana like my Compressa variety. If you would like some Compressa, in exchange, please let me know. ;o)

Sincerely,

Deb

• milwdave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It should do VERY well in Indiana. Unfortunately , this is only the second year blooming for me and it is still too young to take pads. This plant is very slow growing for me, which is a pity because I love it. The Claude Arno also is slow...but not AS slow as the polyacantha.

Dave
    Milwaukee

• DebbyO
    16 years ago

I just cut back my yellow Optunia - it's a little different than the one variety you posted a picture of. In my opinion, the flowers are more showy, as they they have the deep but bright yellow petals with the fiery red centers. They have quickly become one of my favorite flowers in my garden! If you would like some pads, I can go ahead and send them to you. It sounds like the pinkish Optunia variety is not a fast grower like the yellow variety.

Let me know if you want the pads,.....

Sincerely,

Deb

• milwdave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's one that I have been looking for...a polyacantha, I think, called 'persimmon'...you can imagine the color of that one...hehehe.

• miss_daisy
    16 years ago

hiya guys,,,

i'm sitting here drooling over my keyboard, I've just started to like cactus and never knew there were so many diferent kind. Much less that there are more than 1 color cactus- yellow prickly pear- that will survice the zone 7 winters. would any of you guys have an extra cutting to share for postage ?

miss daisy

• dlpplants
    8 years ago