Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

planting Echeveria off shoots

hijole
12 years ago

Hello cacti lovers everywhere, This is Hijole: and what this word means is, WOW!!! and thats how I felt when I saw this site so I chose that for my username. My question today is about Echeverias, I just recently cut the little pups off my echeverias that were in full sun sat them in the shade for about 3 days then stuck them in well amended fast draining soil in full sun but they appear to look like I beat them with a broom. sad looking almost pale. I was wondering is it too much to soon (sun) or do they just need a little time to adapt? I live in zone 9 in sunny calif. in the riverside area where sometimes the heat can be hard to beat.

Comments (2)

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

Keep cuttings in the shade until they have roots. Few Echeveria are going to be happy in full sun in Riverside. It gets way too hot for that. Find a place that gets 2-4 hours of morning sun, and the rest of the day in bright shade. Cuttings without roots have limited water reserves, and no way to absorb any from the ground. It will take several weeks to form roots, so put them in pots so you can limit sun exposure until they are ready for direct sun.

Brad

• hijole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brad

This is a little late but as I was going through this thread I realized that I never responded with a thank you reply and for that I apologize.

I actually did take your advise back then and they did very well inspite of my ignorance. They do prove to be very hardy plants so it's kind of hard not to appear as a green thumb expert with this type of plants.
    Thanks Brad,

Greg

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES