Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atsar_gw

help identifying cacti

atsar
17 years ago

i just inherited these cacti,can anyone tell me what they are?thanks.

Image link:

Comments (15)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

Looks like a partially reverted cristate Opuntia.

• atsar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what you mean by partially reverted?i'm new to this stuff,there's another cactus in the pot with it too,i believe one of themmay have been damaged as a young plant

• atsar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:475555}}
    dont know if this pic is any better

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

Yes, the mangled irrgeular looking growth in the centre looks like it was cristate. You can look up examples on google but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be like that. The cyclindrical growth on the left is the normal habit of the species, although probably a little stretched. The leaves at the tips of the growth identify it as definitely an Opuntia but I have no idea which one. You might want to remove all the normal growth and try to just maintain the cristate bits. You can root some of the normal growth and have a plant like that too.

The other cactus looks like a Parodia. Probably best to put it in its own pot.

• atsar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

some of the cylinders have split 2 and 3 ways at their tops,like branches,should i leave them?and i think there's possibly a 3rd cactus at the backseems to be seperate from the rest and looks kinda different

• steve_nz
    17 years ago

I'm not sure about the exact species but it is similar to
    http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Opuntia_subulata.html
    but without the fleshy bits on the areoles. I have the same one in my garden although it is not crestate.
    If you want to retain the crestate form, then cut off the normal growths or they will take over in time. You can root the cuttings to form new plants.
    As to the 'third' cactus, are you refering to the obviously different species (a Notocactus, possibly N. magnificus) on the right side?

• steve_nz
    17 years ago

Try the link below for a possible ID.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

• atsar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:475556}}
    no,see the one,right at the front,paler than the cristate,it's like a pad,with little like balls growing all over it,which have become elongated nearer the bottom of the plant,and there's no leaves in it at all,which makes me think it's different

• steve_nz
    17 years ago

Looks to be the one plant to me. A mixture of normal, crestate and possible monstros growths.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

That does like like a third different cactus. An Opuntia again, perhaps a monstrose one with all those pads all over it.

• steve_nz
    17 years ago

I see the one you mean now. I can't see the second pic you posted but I can see the growth at the right rear on the first pic. Yes, it looks different. Probably a monstros Opuntia of a different species.

• Nesrally
    10 years ago

Need help to identify this cactus... Any idea ?

• Nesrally
    10 years ago

And this one.....

• GreenPhase
    10 years ago

Nesrally-
    the first picture is a Euphorbia trigona with a crestate form most likely grafted on the closer branch.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry, but that's not a E. Trigona, it's a E. lactea, I'm pretty sure. Trigona looks quite different if you check it against pix.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County