Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally... A new pad on my Prickly Pear

Posted by argentcorvid 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 16:27

Here's a Opuntia a bought in the produce section of my local grocery store this past January, out of boredom. In case anyone else wants to try it, I watered it about once a week, and only began to see growth (other than swelling from absorbing water) toward the end of April. It hasn't quite filled out yet, but is still growing.

They should open in a new window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally... A new pad on my Prickly Pear

Do you know what species it is? I found some naturally occuring eastern prickly pear that I transplanted and I'm growing.

There was a really big cluster of them growing between two rocks at the end of our community drive way but my neighbor, who owns that area, dug them up and got rid of them and planted some daffodils. I like the cacti better...

Anyways, I took a piece long before this but I wish I knew what she was going to do b/c I'd have a nice patch right now.

o

I believe it's Opuntia ficus-indica, commonly sold in markets as "nopales" or "nopalitos". They're delicious cut up in scrambled eggs.

cd

o

does prickly pear cactus flower? i have it for several years and it never flowered or showed any signs of it.

o

yes, they do flower, and very beautiful ones too. Mostly yellow, but also red ones too.

o

Any updates on your plant? Has it bloomed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here