Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xerophytenyc

stapeliad pics

xerophyte NYC
17 years ago

Stapelia schinzii, grown from seed, about 6 years old, flowering for the first time, not sure what took so long - a real stinker (for attracting flies), the purple frills on the edges sway in the slightest breeze, what the heck could be the evolutionary explanation for that?

{{gwi:475850}}

Huernia zebrina, 2nd round of flowers, already bloomed 1 month ago, the lifesaver centers are firm to the touch, the flower really does look like it's made of plastic

{{gwi:475852}}

Comments (10)

• hablu
    17 years ago

Both great plants and great pics. Harry

• stapeliamaniac
    17 years ago

Nice flowers...waiting for mine to get to blooming size. Did flies lay eggs on the schinzii?

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't know if those are eggs, the flower was only open for 2 days before shriveling - last year when my Stapelia hirsuta bloomed, the flower stayed open for about 5 days, and towards the end there were dozens of little maggots squirming around.

That plant is in bud now, I'll post a pic of the blooms when they open, and of the maggots if some flies make it there.

I also have an Orbea namaquensis in bud, for the 1st time, another fabulous flower that I am anxious to see in person.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Xero,

Have you said you're growing in a greenhouse in NYC? Without intruding can I ask what part of town at least (I live & grow indoors in Brooklyn), never heard of anyone from here in NYC w/ a greenhouse, mighty curious.

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I actually live in LI, moved from Manhattan last summer but I still use the x_nyc id - but growing up I did maintain many plants in my parents' home in Queens, not in a "real" greenhouse but underneath a contraption made of glass and brick, but I guess that doesn't count.

You're right, though, I've never seen or heard of a backyard greenhouse from someone in the 5 boroughs, in fact I don't know of any others in the 'burbs either!

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Actually, I've had a neighbor here in Bklyn w/ a serious backyard greenhouse which he built himself (young guy in his early 20s, in yard of parent's home, wealthy, son of Dr.) They basically let him have a free hand there & a couple of yrs. ago when I was spending some time w/ him, he showed me the greenhouse w/ all his orchids, some vivariums (& many vivariums inside the house too). Interesting, yet weird (I was new to vivariums then & can't quite say I'm a fan).

• Denise
    17 years ago

They're both gorgeous! Makes me want to take up growing Stapeliads again! The only one I grow now is this Huernia...
    {{gwi:475854}}

Not sure if it's pendula or schneiderana or something else altogether, but it grows like a weed and I can't seem to kill it. I gave up on all other Stapeliads - between mealies and winter shrivel (underwatering) and rot (overwatering), they just got to be too much trouble. Glad to see some people have such great success!

Denise in Omaha

• xerophyte NYC
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Very nice!

During the winter I keep my Staps in my garage where it gets quite cold, down to near freezing during the winter, no watering at all. In the summer when it is hot you can water almost as much as you want without real fear of rot. In between summer and winter, I water sparingly, and only if there will be sunshine and warm days after watering.

Of course, what I describe only works if you use the right soil mix, which utilizes NO PEAT MOSS WHATSOEVER. It's amazing how peat moss weakens succulents and cactus.

x

• hirsuta
    17 years ago

Nice plants Xero. I love the Stapelia schinzii. Worth the wait. I agree with the no peat - I have put all of my plants in Coir this year and have seen a dramatic difference.

H

• floridabear
    17 years ago

Mark. Are we going to do a trade or anything or not? I haven't heard back from you..and I VERY much want these 2 stapelias that you sent me the pictures of....the one with the purple fringe and the red one. PLEASE answer me...I have no other email address than the one you have posted....the hotmail account that you say you dont use much. so,maybe you will see this here? I hope. PLEASE let me know. Stan

Sponsored