Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whskyfan

Keeps falling over

whskyfan
17 years ago

Need some help with this. The weight of the top keeps making it lean over. Should I try cutting and restarting or what?

Thanks,

Jim

Image link:

Comments (11)

• farmerted361
    17 years ago

Hi, Jim
    What you have there is a graft. Two cacti plants where grafted onto the top of a column cacti. I would cut the top off of the column and devide them into two, let the two top cacti callus off and replant in slighty damp cacti soil so they can take root. The top of the column cacti will callus off and will start pups itself. Then you'll have three for the price of one, pardon the pun:)

Hope this helps, farmerted361:)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

I don't think its a graft. I think it is a Mammillaria which has grown columnar and then divided dichotomously. Or maybe its a graft! Either way you can chop it up if you want. Many Mammillarias lean over when they get old and grow along the ground or as hanging columns, but it isn't always practical in a pot.

• whskyfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is definitely not grafted. I've had it for well over 10 years. it split like this a few years ago.

I think I'll cut the top and plant it as one. What time of year is best to do this?

Thank you all for the replys.

Jim

• hablu
    17 years ago

Another possibility: Plant it in a bowl; let it bow over and see what becomes of it in a few years. As Iann said, its quite natural for some Mams to do so. (Google: Mam matudae)greets. Harry

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    17 years ago

Spring is a good time to re-root plants, but you can do it at any time. It will probably take longer at a time when the plant wouldn't normally be growing but there will be less stress on the plant over winter so nothing lost really.

• cactijoe
    17 years ago

Or you can sell it on Ebay as a rare specimen and buy another one and start over. Kind of odd how it suddenly got "happy" after all these years and split into two normal diameter stems. Was it an isolated child in a low light condition for many years prior to coming outside? I'd probably try whacking it off next Spring just under the two heads and lay them aside for a few weeks and it should start sending out new roots. Then set it on top of some soil or sand and it should grow over the Summer into a new well rooted specimen. -CJ

• drtygdnr
    17 years ago

I think it's cool and interesting. I'd repot it. Stage it with some rocks to keep it from falling over.

• whskyfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I cut it and it seems to be doing OK. Growing and blooming. I think that two heads are better than one.:-))
    Thank you all again for your suggestions.
    Jim

• whskyfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture, I left it off my last post.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://picasaweb.google.com/whskyfan/Cactus20062/photo#5188758028414783874

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

I own that cactus but not the amazing shape as yous. Mine is a foot tall and six inches wide and vewry healthy, never complains when it gets too much rain in the winter and blooms and blooms. Mine actually just fell but an accident by me and broke it's clay pot and was so pot bound so I repotted just a small amount larger so it wouldn't get too wet. I love the unique and would just leave it alone because it's not that type of rounded plant and might not develope good roots. But mu luck with cutting cactus isn't all that good just repotting.

• breeindy
    15 years ago

try gravel to hold it up..even now you've cut it.

Sponsored