Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A mixed bag of goodies

Posted by xerophyte_nyc 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 15:13

New photos taken today, any questions, just ask, glad to be of help

Dioscorea elephantipes caudex, about 8 yrs-old from seed, just starting to vine, Adromischus cristatus to the right

Pachypodium namaquanum, started as a seedling ~10 yrs ago, it's starting to lean towards the sun, which they are known to do

Pachypodium saundersii(?), can't remember exactly

Pacypodium brevicaule

Pseudolithos migiurtinus flower close-up, the ruffles on the petal tips are quite comical looking as they sway in the breeze

Huernia (sp?) bloom

Euphorbia caput-medusae, strange looking plant

Mammillaria luethyi close-up (not grafted, I HATE grafts) - each tubercule has a parasol of spines, very intricate

Mammillaria bocasana

Hawaorthia truncata, started as a single small plant about 10 yrs ago

Astrophytum asterias x coahuilensis...mathematics and nature go hand in hand

Astrophytum "Super Kabuto"

Aztekium ritteri, 9 yrs old from seed

Aloes, over 15 yrs old from seed, the one on the right looks like Aloe ferox, I don't know the others, anyone else know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A mixed bag of goodies

• Posted by hablu z8 Netherlands (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 15:27

Very impressive!! The Luethyi is marvelous. Harry

o

I love plants that have shape, color and texture that can be appreciated from way up close, micro-nature is fantastic

o

Wonderful stuff! I agree about enjoying up close and personal views of plants, and yours are beauties -- every one of them!
It's interesting, I've been wanting M. leuthyi for a while. I just found an online source, but I passed because I didn't like the look of the "lollipop" grafts. (It can have different rootstock, but it should be discrete.)

o

I got the mamm luethyi a few years back on ebay non-grafted...however, while I don't know for sure I really think they were collected from the wild so I was very upset when I received the plants - they looked too large to have been seed grown.

I unknowingly helped to support the illegal collection of plants from their habitats. I make sure to take extra special care of that plant because I now know that it is not readily available on it's own roots. But as you can see from the photos I think the plant is happy and hence so am I.

I've heard they root easily from cuttings, so you could buy a grafted plant and take some cuttings off of it. I've also seen seed available if you have some patience.

o

Beautiful plants - all of them. Impressive pachy's. The middle Aloe looks alot like Aloe cryptopoda -

H

o

You have some great looking plants there. M. luethyi is very easy to root. Just buy yourself a grafted plant, wait for some sprouts, cut them off and root them. No difficulties in doing this at all. They're very similar to M. theresae in care.
Pieter

o

I second that Hirsuta, A. cryptopoda or A. wickensii I forget which is current.

o

"Pseudolithos migiurtinus flower close-up, the ruffles on
the petal tips are quite comical looking as they sway in the breeze"

i've done a lot of snorkeling and kept marine fish for many years....this reminds me much of something i'd see at a reef. very kewl! a great pic, as all they are! TFS
jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here