Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Aloe vera' or not?

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 22:55

There was a question on the C&S forum as to what really is an Aloe vera plant. How about this one?

Image link: 'Aloe vera' or not? (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Aloe vera' or not?

Looks like A. vera to me. What people and myself would call "True Aloe vera". Yours is lacking a bit in sunlight that's why it is so thin looking.

o

Dirtygardener is right. Lacking a bit of light, but getting enough to flower..........

o

Wow, you did that indoors? Congratulations, mighty cool, I hadn't thought blooming Aloes indoors was likely; good work! What exposure is that window?

Drtygdnr,

What pls. do you mean by 'thin'? The leaves look nicely plump to me, plant's not tall or leggy, so what pls. are you referring to?

o

As to the exposure of the window, it is a south window, of course. In winter I keep my cacti in an upstairs, unheated bedroom that stays about 50 degrees in the deep winter. It is my ace in the hole here in South Dakota. Can't afford a greenhouse....

Gee, I never thought to put the aloe outside in the summer like I do the cacti. Duh!

I do think that my plants don't really get the light inside that they do outside like they did the couple years I lived in San Diego. They don't get the soil mealybugs and scales like they did then, so that is the trade off. I do think the bloom stalk of my plant in particular is longer than some on pictures of aloes growing outside. But I do the best I can.

o

• Posted by borrego Z 10 L.A. Cal. (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 12, 06 at 22:42

I would have made the same 'thin leaves' comment, but Dirty beat me to it. It refers not to the thickness of the leaf, but rather the width and length. They look a bit 'etoliated'. Stretched.
Obviously, she is doing plenty right. Plant is flowering indoors, leaves are plump. I would call this a great success.

o

Must be the upstairs cool that prompted it to bloom (am guessing). So is that to say you barely water it in that cool winter? Well done indeed!

Gee, I wish my Aloes would think the same (they're in west window, next to the glass which does get cold in winter).

Borrego, thx for clarifying the "thin" comment.

(PG) Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here