Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Aloe Pictifolia

deefar
18 years ago

Here are 2 varieties. One is a striped and the other one is spotted. I have both in one pot. Should I separate them?

Aloe Pictifolia

{{gwi:478086}}

Thanks,

Dawn

Comments (9)

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

They seem to be happy together, nice to see the different forms together. They look good.

CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CPC, I think for now I will keep them together. They do look pretty neat together. They are in desparate need of being transplanted.

Dawn

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Dawn,

I don't believe the one on the left is A. pictifolia. Where did you get the ID?

I'd separate them next year, when it's warmer and the days are longer. They'll thank you for it.

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

another Aloe species Ive not heard of!

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think Jeff is right.....again. I don't think that the striped aloe is a pictifolia. I'm wondering if maybe it could be a young Aloe Karabergensis. Here are some pics of my A. Karabergensis:

{{gwi:478087}}
    {{gwi:478088}}

Larry, The pictifolia has been on my list of 'must haves' for quite awhile. BTW, The Labatts can is only a prop for scale. Besides, Its the only thing I can think of that is universally accepted for size :)

Thanks,
    Dawn

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Oh Dawn, your A. karasbergensis is just beautiful! Does it turn lovely colors in the sun? And you let it drink beer??? Does it like beer? LOL I've got a little baby and if it grows up half as beautiful as yours I'll be thrilled (but I won't let it have any beer)!
    Amy

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dawn,

Amy's right on - that is a darling Karas Mountain Aloe!

Here's A. pictifolia - a picture you may have seen (if so, forgive me, por favor. As you can see, it's pretty distinctive.

{{gwi:478089}}

As suggested, come next spring, I'd separate those. The quicker the unid Aloe has its own growing space, the sooner it will get larger and identification becomes less difficult.

Of course, if you're going to greenhouse it, there's really no reason not to depot and repot now, if you've the time. Just be careful with watering.

I had heard that A. pictifolia is a winter-grower, but I've given mine water year-around and it likes it just fine.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Amy, A. Karasbergensis is probably one of my favorites of all my aloes. Over the summer in the GH it did turn a little bit pinkish, but not much. I really haven't had much luck finding any real good infor on this aloe. I do think it is a winter grower though. No, I don't feed it beer, besides DH would have a heart attack if I did that.

Jeff, That ia a beautiful aloe. I will be separating them soon. They are busting out of that pot they are in. What is that red aloe to the left? That is gorgous. In the summer they will be going back into the GH. Thanks for the tip on watering.

Dawn

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I separated the 2 aloes and what a job that was. There was hardly any dirt, just roots....lots of roots. The pictifolia went into a 6" pot and the 'unknown' is in a 4" pot, Though it should be in a 6" pot. The only problem is that I lost alot of roots while trying to separate them. I ran water over the roots to help loosen them up. After an hour I finally got the two separated. I potted them up but did not water them. I will wait a few days.

Dawn

Sponsored