Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrophytumfreak

Some late Mammillaria flowers

astrophytumfreak
18 years ago

I have no clue why these mam's are flowering now. They have never done that before. Any ideas?

{{gwi:478170}}

{{gwi:478172}}

{{gwi:478175}}

Dan

Comments (13)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Wow, number 2 is hahniana! Its supposed to flower in April/May I believe!
    Funny thing is mine has suddenly got a lot fluffier too!

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

I have had them flower at odd times too... I think they just like breaking the rules.

CP

• deefar
    18 years ago

I think they are just being rebels. My M. Albicoma is still flowering like crazy. Just when I think It will stop, it starts all over again. Who's complaining though...not I :)

Dawn

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I like this one that always flowers late and doesn't care whether the sun is shining or not.

{{gwi:478180}}

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Posted by: shrubs_n_bulbs z8/9 UK (My Page) on Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 7:31

I like this one that always flowers late and doesn't care whether the sun is shining or not

shrubs, what mamm is that, its fantastic!

• cactus_cowboy
    18 years ago

In the past, I had about 80 different Mammillaria species in my greenhouse. There were usually a few blooming, even during winter months.

Dave in Wyoming

• luthien79
    18 years ago

Yeah, mamms will often flower whenever they get a chance.

Are you having a mild october like us dan? We have the torrential rains come in now but they keep things mild still.

Shrubs. I have one of those M. Gracilis Arizona snowcaps too. Probably a bit bigger than yours now. The flowers aren't special but the plant makes up for it. I'll have to take it's mugshot at some point.

Toni-Marie

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Toni-Marie,
    Yes, October has been very mild here too. I haven't even heated the greenhouse yet, eventhough I usually start doing that from the 10-15th of october. Last year was very mild too. I don't know if it has anything to do with global warming, or if it's just a coincidence.
    Dan

• ariole
    18 years ago

Dan, how cool do the inside temps need to be prior to turning on the heat?

And--- Three great Mammillaria shots.

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Al, 40F is a minimum temperature typically used. My max/min in the garden has barely been that low so far this year. Some growers use 45F or even 50F, depends on what you're growing and how much money you've got to burn :)

Toni-Marie, doesn't everyone have one of these? They're so easy to grow and propagate, mine drops pups if you say angry words to it.

Larry, Mammillaria vetula ssp gracilis 'Arizona Snowcap' to give it the latest full name. Its a monstrose form of the regular M. gracilis, pups madly into a jumble of fuzzballs. It grows pretty fast, its incredibly tolerant of low light, overwatering, and this one came from B&Q, I think.

• luthien79
    18 years ago

Yes, they are common as muck, lol.

Dan - could be global warming or it could be just the natural cycles the world gets anyway. Like it or lump it, I'm sure some sort of global warming is going on.

I haven't heated my greenhouse yet and don't worry about heat until the temps drop below 5c although my cacti have experienced temps below freezing quite often. The back greenhouse will be unheated and only the toughies spend the winter in there like echinopsis, lobivia, rebutia, chams, echinocereus and stuff like that who don't mind colder temps.

Toni-Marie

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Al,
    I try to keep tempts at around 5C. I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit, but it's the same temperature as you keep in your refrigerator.
    Dan

• luthien79
    18 years ago

I know that 0c is 32F and that there is about 2 units for F for every one unit for C.

Toni-Marie

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm