Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An aeonium? ID help, please

Posted by crdahlia z8bWA (larryteresa@msn.com) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 9:28

I got this plant from a friend, but he doesn't know for sure what it is. The lady he got it from said it is an aeonium, but I can't find one just like it on the web. This particular one measures 14" across, and one of the stalks is 14" high. He said he thought you could propogate from seed. Correct? and if so -- how do you take the seed? I'd really appreciate any help.

Teresa

Image link: An aeonium? ID help, please (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An aeonium? ID help, please

It's a large Echeveria. They are usually propagated by offsets or leaves. If the stalk is long and bare, you can behead it in the spring, let the top dry for a day or two, and then plant it in a dry cactus soil mix to reroot it. The stalk may put out more offsets for you as well. I've not tried seed, but have heard that it's dust-like, and takes longer than the above methods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here