Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrophytumfreak

my little kindergarten

astrophytumfreak
18 years ago

Here are some of my small babies, they are around 2-3 months old now and doing quite well.

{{gwi:478458}}

A. superkabuto "snowtype"

{{gwi:478460}}

Ariocarpus scapharostrus f. major

{{gwi:478462}}

{{gwi:478464}}

{{gwi:478465}}

Lophophora fricii, Viesca Coa.

{{gwi:478466}}

Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Guadalupe Pass, Texas

{{gwi:478467}}

{{gwi:478469}}

{{gwi:478470}}

{{gwi:478472}}

{{gwi:478474}}

Lophophora fricii, Viesca Coa.

{{gwi:478476}}

{{gwi:478478}}

{{gwi:478480}}

Dan (the very proud mamma! ;)

Comments (15)

• billinsc
    18 years ago

You do so well with your grafts, Dan!! You should be proud! :-)
    Bill in SC

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks alot Bill. You should give it a try too! It's a great "winter hobby" when all the other plants are sleeping in the greenhouse.
    Dan

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Are the Lophophora the same age? They look huge! I'd be scared they were going to explode and there'd just be this blob of goo on the end of the stock ;)

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the lophophora's are the same age as the others. The seeds went in the soil at the start of September, and the graftes were made in the middle/end of September.
    They always grow very fast on pereskiopsis.
    Dan

• tequila
    18 years ago

I want some Pereskiopsis¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
    Alfonso

• wazzimodo
    18 years ago

Wow!!!
    That looks so weird to someone who has always bought plants from others!!!!
    I know nothing about grafting cacti, but I guess that's a great way to speed them up. I am guessing that Pereskiopsis is the root stock?
    I wonder if I should do that when I start my seed raising.
    I would appreciate some knowledge in this area...I undrstand the basics of grafting other plants, but if there are things particular to cacti that you could pass on that would be very interesting.
    Thank you,
    Wazzimodo

• ariole
    18 years ago

Dan, wonderful as usual. Today I'll go bananas over the superb Echinocactus horizonthalonius grafts. I know how slow my plants were from seed. Already nice details showing on your youngsters.

Many thanks for this post.

Al

• Romani_30
    18 years ago

I have grafted one cactus.It was a SULCOREBUTIA RAUSCHII grafted on a standard moon cactus base cactus.It took! So far,it has grown very little.I AM SO HAPPY!

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Oh Dan, I do indeed plan to start grafting upon the completion of my GH
    BTW Romani 30: The Sulcorebutia rauschii grafts very well to O.humifusa (synonym O. compressa, AKA Eastern prickly pear) They are said to grow very fast on that stock. See link, and bookmark if you don't have it..
    Bill in SC

Here is a link that might be useful: O. compress grafting stock

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wazzimodo, take a look at the link below for further instructions on pereskiopsis grafting.
    Al, do you have any pictures of the plants you grew from seed? I would love to see those! I was told by a friend that he took 2 years to get his hor. up in the same size as mine have now - and that only took 2 months! pretty impressive. I plan to re root them when they get bigger than 4 inches diameter.
    Bill, that sounds like a good idea. Please post some pics once you get started.
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: pereskiopsis

• desert_gardener
    18 years ago

I too am one that only buys from other and have never done any grafting. This is amazing, thanks for sharing.

• Romani_30
    18 years ago

Thank you Bill! I read all of that.It was very cool to read! I will use Optunia as a graft next time! My grafting juices are flowing now!

• billinsc
    18 years ago

If anyone needs any O. compressa grafting stock, I can ship them some come spring. I grows wild all around here. I could round up some this fall, but this time of year, it is droopy looking, and not fresh looking like it is when it makes new pads in the spring. Just let me know who needs it..
    Bill in SC

• Romani_30
    18 years ago

Well I grafted my second cactus tonight.:) It was a feather spined mammalaria onto an Optunia pad I was given.What can I expect?

• meloman
    18 years ago

Great work Dan!!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz