Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID echinocereus

Posted by cesmon 10Spain (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 12:38

Hola:
This plant was sold to me like echinocereus. Somebody knows it?
Thanks
Csar

Image link: ID echinocereus (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID echinocereus

looks like an etiolated mammilaria to me

o

Hmmm, yes, I searched through cactaceae.net and could not find any Echinocereus plants that looked like the one you have. The distinct lack or ribs means it does not look like one to me.
Maybe it is as GL says?

o

I think it's probably a mamm too, but I don't think it looks etiolated at all.

cd

o

I agree that the plant looks very tubercular and lacks prominent ribs, but I think that's just because its still a baby. Look at the newest growth, the ribs are developing and it is not at all mamm-like. I can believe it is a baby Echinocereus but can't offer a species.

o

Hey Cesar, it has the spine colour of my Echinocereus laui, but at even at a young age this has didtinct ribs.
I must say though, that it looks very "Mammillific!", spine colours are reminiscent of M. fraileana, but that has hooked spines, or even M. viperina.
It'd be interesting to see what it's like after growing in some full light for a while.

CP

o

Hola:
Thanks by your opinions. I only can say that etiolated not is.It receives light sifted of the sun.

Csar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here