Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_harris_gw

The Adenium of Araby

jeffrey_harris
18 years ago

This is the first time that this Adenium arabicum has flowered. The flowers aren't so special, kind of a washed-out pink (certainly nothing like the reds and pinks one sees in the numerous Adenium obesum hybrids).

However, the caudex is turning into something else - what a body!

I've repotted and reraised it each year, with the pot half-full of rocks, and am hopeful that the roots are developing in a funkily fabulous manner.

This is the one Adenium that doesn't lose its leaves in the fall/winter.

{{gwi:479916}}

Comments (11)

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

WOW, I love those curves Jeffrey, let me echo your words... what a body! :)
    The flowers may not be as speccie as obesum, I still think Adenium flowers are in a class of their own. Thanks for sharing.
    CP

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Hi, Jeff. That's a beauty. I don't have any plants like that in my collection. Are they difficult? Also, what is the knobbly plant in the pot just above the Adenium, if I might know?

Kate

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear CP,

The pleasure's mine, mate.

Dear Kate,

No, Adeniums are quite easy (for the most part) - treat them as tropical plants, and you'll be in like Flynn.

A. arabicum is one I've not seen for sale - during a visit to Tropiflora Nursery in Sarasota, FL I got one and have kept it going.

Who are you calling knobbly, anyway? Oh, I see, you're asking about the plant. I think what you see there is the base of this crest that I have (maybe a Trichcereus pachanoi), most of which is pictured below.

{{gwi:116174}}

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

That is a GORGEOUS crest! And as for that blue fellow to the left...lovely! Do you know what type of Pilosocereus it is?...if it is one at all. I am hoping that one day one of my less-than-8-inch-tall Pilosos will become something so glorious! Thanks, Jeff, for the follow-up pic, and for making me drool over that blue guy!

Kate

• jeffrey_harris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kate,

I believe that could be Pilosocereus piauhyensis.

If you want to get some Blue Guys, I would suggest a several-day vacation down south to visit Mr. Pickering. He can hook you up with all sorts of Brazilian cacti. Aside from that, he's incredibly knowlegable and an all-around good fellow.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Jeff,

How big is the cuadex? Hard to tell from the photo. It's a beauty, that's for sure!! And what is the pretty little climbing plant in the lower left of the photo? That's a lovely one, too. I may have to beg you for some of that! Makes me think of Hoya or Dischidia, but I can't imagine you would grow either of those right next to a high-light-loving Adenium...

Denise in Omaha

• deefar
    18 years ago

Your Adenium is gorgous. That crested plant is to die for. Are you sure it's real:) So healthy looking.

Dawn

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

I would love to visit Mr. Pickering and hear what he has to say about the blue guys. We are actually headed through his area during the winter holidays, but I doubt my DH would like to spend a 2-week car-camping trip to Corpus Christi, TX with supplemental spines and blueness. He already thinks my collection is taking over our lives. Personally, I think a car makes a great greenhouse...: )

Kate

• drappard
    17 years ago

Where is this "Mr. Pickering"? (Or is giving that kind of info against this forum's rules?) We live only 2 hours from Corpus...I would like to gleem a bit of his knowledge as well.

BTW cactus Kate, I think a car makes a great (temporary) greenhouse :-D And my DH is very tolerant of my plants...as long as there is room for us as well...hee...hee!

Drappard

• Joyce
    17 years ago

Well darn Jeff, I can't see the photo! :(

• sjv78736
    17 years ago

danggitt....i wanna see this guy too! jo

Sponsored