Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mesemb quiz pic

Posted by ariole z7DE (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 13:19

A bit too green and a bit too plump following a bit too much H20. And a bit too little light.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesemb quiz pic

looks a bit of a Titanopsis to me.

o

Larry, sorry but no cigar.

Al

o

I know, I know! Should I say or should I let everyone take a guess?

o

Pseudolithos?

o

Go ahead, S-n-B, I say you should 'say'. Can you post a pic of yours in bloom? And give us a nice bit of background. I'm keeping notes of your comments.

Al

o
The answer?

Neohenricia sibettii, I think.

I don't have one, but I know a couple of local growers that do. These plants are tiny. Tiny! Those leaves are much smaller than the similar Titanopsis leaves. The flowers open late in the day, technically they are nocturnal, and they are highly scented.

They are apparently very hardy, possibly outdoors in rainy England although I don't know anyone who has tried this yet. But apparently they overwinter quite happily in Colorado, temperatures well below 0F.

Since I don't have a pic of the plant in flower (partly due to not having a plant!), here is a link that shows it well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neohenricia in flower

o

Yes, S-n-B, you win the cigar.

Nocturnal flowers, rats, that's why I have no pic. I see the closed flower but never thought to check it at night.

I tried the plant in the rock garden last winter. Approx 10% of it survived to see the springtime sunshine. I must admit that it was poorly sited. By May the poor little thing was engulfed by the Kudzu of the Mesemb world, Delosperma nubigenum. This winter I hope to try it in a trough placed in a much sunnier spot.

Does anyone else have experiences with the plant?

Al

o

Congrats S&B, I'm impressed. Nice close-up shot Al.

Dawn

o

cool a posting on the BCSS forum, I thought I recognised that green backgroud ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here