Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuspolecat

I bought a new Mamm

cactuspolecat
18 years ago

I saw a couple of these at a local nursery, under the name "lollipop cactus". I have tentatively given it the name pseudoperbella, as the spination and and flowers fit.

Mamm pseodoperbella usually divides dichotomously though, and this plant has three pups forming, although I do know of other species that can divide both ways.

The plant is approx 115mm tall and wide, it's been grafted, so I aim to remove it from the graft at some stage and root it down... any hints on the best method to do this would be really appreciated.

{{gwi:480837}}

{{gwi:480840}}

Enjoy, CP

Comments (7)

• ariole
    18 years ago

That plant is a beauty from every angle; nice spines, wool and wonderful flowers. A complete ring of the flowers like yours is always a bonus for me.

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Looks a lot like M. pseudoperbella, although it is very woolly. The pups might just be from being on a graft. Degrafting is basically just like taking a cutting, or re-rooting after root rot, with the advantage that the plant is really healthy when you start.

• deefar
    18 years ago

Very nice. I love how the flower are in a circle like that. Looks like a good buy.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks folks... and S&B for your confimation and advice... so I'll just slice it off below the scion and sit it on a bed of sand until it roots down... probably best to do it now before summer hits us.

Cheers, CP

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Don't take my word for it, CP. It might well be M. perbella or something completely different like a hahniana subspecies. I've never seen that much wool on a pseudoperbella which are usually pretty naked, but then plants on grafts do weird things.

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks S&B, I'll keep my options open on that one, (it's likely to be a hybrid when all is said & done).
    I don't know much about grafted plants, as its something I've never attempted... I prefer the challenge of growing them on their own roots, and I've never been interested in the coloured cacti. I'm aware also of certain benefits in grafting, my other problem is lack of suitable grafting stock.

CP

• cactijoe
    18 years ago

Here's an idea; leave it on the graft till one of the pups is large enough to sever from mamma. Once you have established a back up or two I would then consider compromising the mother ship by chopping it from the graft stock. There may be small needles/spines they used to secure it years ago, it looks to be well established, but you would probably need to cut the graft from its established home. Let it set a couple weeks and then set it upright on some sand. Or leave it resting until you see new roots appear and then stand it up on some sand/soil. Or cut the stock close enough so that when it re-roots (still attached) it will not be as visable in the pot. If the patient survives we'll have to get you a C.D. doctorate. Patience CP, patience.

Sponsored