Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Adromischus cristatus flowers

Ohio_Green_Thumb
18 years ago

It took a long time for these buds to open. I'd never seen this one flower before so I am really enjoying the very pale lilac/pink flowers. Thought I'd share them here.

Amy

{{gwi:480979}}

{{gwi:480981}}

Comments (8)

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Fenestraria has broken dormancy and is producing at least 6 flower buds at the moment. I love it when this little one comes to life! One of the stems has taken on a bonsai effect and looks weathered and gnarled; something I find very attractive in succulents.

Amy

{{gwi:480983}}

• ariole
    18 years ago

Very nice pics, Amy. It's been a long time since I grew A. cristatus. I'm enjoying the memory that your fine photograph evokes.

And the Mesemb fresh from a drink is wonderful.

Al

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I love that Fenestraria picture!

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys, more to come when the buds open.
    Amy

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Great pics Amy.. My Fenestraria was one that I lost this summer. I guess it did not like the treatment I gave it. I do want to try another next spring, and keep it drier...
    BB in SC

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Are Adromischus and Fenestraria both winter growers? Forgive my ignorance, but I killed a Fenestraria this summer, and it looked like it had been over watered, which, for a summer grower, it wasn't, but maybe that wasn't the problem...Thanks, anyone who knows!

Kate

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kate,
    Fenestraria are definitely winter growers here, and mine "slept" all summer in the blazing sun and heat. The trick for me is to water them only enough to keep the tiny feeder roots healthy. This 4" pot they're in only got enough water to moisten the top ½" of soil during the summer. In between the light waterings, I made sure it was completely dry. Come fall, when I see new leaves beginning to pop up, it gets more water. When the flower buds appear I give it a good soaking till I see water come out the drainage hole. This plant really needs full sun to do its best. Low light makes it look long, stringy and pale...just plain unhealthy. I've got cacti that can't take the amount of sun this little plant can take!!

The Adromischus I have all seem very forgiving in contrast. I follow pretty much the same regimen as above, but they get more water in comparison with what the Fenestraria gets. They are much more tolerant of excess water, like Faucarias are.

I don't know if you do this, but I actually pinch the leaves of my succulents to get an idea of how much water they've got stored. When they feel soft it tells me that they're either A) dormant or B) thirsty. I make my decision to water based on the time of the year and the weather. Hope that helps you! I just woke up so I'm not sure I explained things clearly for you. Hope I didn't confuse you!

Amy

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

No, that's great! Thanks, Amy!

Kate

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner