Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohio_green_thumb

Echeveria?

Ohio_Green_Thumb
18 years ago

My heart leapt when I saw this one, the only one remaining, on a shelf at Kmart. I have a suspicion that it might be an Echeveria, but I'm not sure. What do you say?

Amy

{{gwi:481536}}

Comments (14)

• ariole
    18 years ago

How about 'Black Prince' just needing to be out of that dark H/D cavern and into a bit of real light. I think you got a real winner.

Al

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm, Al, I don't think so. I have a 'Black Prince' and its leaves are much firmer with a thick waxy surface. These leaves are softer and not waxy. There is another black Ech. but its name escapes me at the moment.

And I think I have a winner too! Echs are so beautiful, I'd love to have one of each.

Amy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

I believe it is Echeveria 'Black Knight' (or E. affinis). One example at site below. I also think it has been in shade too long.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Echeveria 'Black Knight'

• ariole
    18 years ago

I do concede. I spoke way too soon.

Al

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm still not sure. Here's a photo of what was ID'd as 'Black Prince' earlier this year. The leaves are shaped differently. I agree, it definitely needs more light than it was getting. I will spoil it rotten, not to worry.

Amy

{{gwi:481537}}

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rats, Rosemarie, I posted the same time you did! I was thinking the "other black Echeveria" had a royal-ish sounding name as well, and then you said 'Black Knight'! LOL Thanks to all of you for your input!

Amy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Well I thought (like Al) that is was E. 'Black Prince' at first too. You don't see too many people with E. 'B.K.' I have it but I don't know anyone else who does. I had one named 'Carlsbad' (similar to these 2) long ago but it bit the dust.

~Rosemarie

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, then, I feel especially lucky to have found this one! Do you have a photo of yours?

By the way, my A. bakeri's flowers are closer to opening. It will be another week or two before I can take photos of them. I had to move a lot of my succys to their winter home in the basement tonight. It's getting down to 38° tonight and I don't want to take any chances. Oh how I hate saying goodbye to the growing season! :-(

Amy

• rjm710
    18 years ago

'Carlsbad' is also listed as 'Alfred Graf' (or Graff, or Graffe) in some places. I don't remember the differences between the black Eches, and will have to look at mine to see if I can find one which looks like yours. I also have a 'Black beauty' (on the Altman tag), but have never heard or seen this name on any other Ech, so it may be a synonym for one of the cultivars mentioned above.

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Ray, I have the one from Altmans tagged as E. 'Black Beauty' as well. I thought it reminded me of another...so I went searching. I do believe it is really Echeveria compressicaulis, seen at link below. Does yours look like that? The leaves & stems on mine have indentations/angles on them (somewhat like E. nodulosa).

Amy, here's some previous pix of my Echeveria 'Black Knight' (with water spots)
    {{gwi:481538}}
    Young one:
    {{gwi:481540}}
    Flowers
    {{gwi:481542}}

Can't wait to see your A. bakeri's flowers!
    ~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:481534}}

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Rosemarie, what is that other pale succulent in the pot with your Echeveria???
    I have that one and don't have a name on it.

Thanks,
    WindsurfGirl

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

WG, that is Graptopetalum paraguayense (Ghost Plant, Mother of Pearl). There are some others that look similar, but this one is most common, I believe. You could post & have it ID'd to be sure.

~Rosemarie

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beautiful plants Rosemarie! I sure hope mine decides to begin dividing next year. They look quite impressive all clumped together like that. They must look even nicer when they all send up their inflorescences! Thanks for posting those pics.
    Amy

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Could it be a xGraptoveria?

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!