Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billinsc

got 'em all in

billinsc
18 years ago

Supposed to be 38 degrees F tonight.. Decided to move 'em all in. Reckon I should clean my windows, eh? Small heater visable in foreground..

{{gwi:481752}}
{{gwi:481754}}
{{gwi:481757}}
{{gwi:481760}}
{{gwi:481763}}
{{gwi:481768}}
Bill in SC

Comments (27)

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

Good job Bill!! That's a lot of cactuseses :-)

Alex

• Denise
    18 years ago

Oh, I started out with one of those oil-filled heaters that looks like a radiator, too. My first winter electric bill about gave me a heart attack! I finally got a radiant heater - it's a lot more efficient. On the coldest days, I have to supplement it with another little heater, but it keeps it warm enough most of the winter without breaking the bank.

Looks great, Bill!

Denise in Omaha

• deefar
    18 years ago

How long did it take to bring all those in? I love your peperoma plant. You have alot of nice plants. Are you going to leave them in there all winter?

Now, go relax :)

Dawn

• jamesfe
    18 years ago

i know its a lot of work moving those plants. up north here my plants have been in for month now. we had a indian summer but i did not want to risk the cold.

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Denise: We heat primarily with wood, so one or two of those little heaters don't seem to get our bill out of whack.
    Dawn: It took about three hours to get them moved in. ;-), and yes Jamesfe: It was a lot of work. I finally got the greenhouse deck complete, and am now seeking out about 36 used storm windows to panel the three sides with. I guess I will go with the transparent corrugated panels from Lowes for the roof... It will take me a while to get all this stuff together, but heck, Rome wasn't built in a day!! and.. the cacti are fine for now :-) I will leave them there all winter if I don't get done with the GH.. The Peperomia is very colorful Dawn..
    Bill in SC

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

LOL Bill, your setup looks like what I've got going on in our basement! When I go downstairs I tell hubby "I'm going to my greenbasement!"

No Fair! You got one of those gorgeous red Peperomias! I ordered one from Shoal Creek and they were out of stock so they sent me a substitute...Peperomia dolabriformis, which is so incredibly boring I should just throw it away. Blah!

Amy

{{gwi:481769}}

• deefar
    18 years ago

Amy, Don't throw it away. Use it as a trade or a freebee in a trade.

Dawn

• astrophytumfreak
    18 years ago

Nice!
    Dan

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Well done Bill,glad you got 'em all in. Nice to see 'em all together, you've got a nice bunch of plants there.

CP

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Do you really think you'll need the heater at all? Even unheated rooms inside my house get nowhere near cold enough to hurt a cactus. Well, maybe a Melocactus ;)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

bill:

when do you come over to my house and pot up all my plants pretty like that?

nice work :)
    -ming

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Bill,

Good job, sir - looks like you might have space for next year's plants, too!

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

S_B: If it is in the 20s outside, it will be in the 20s in that drafty North facing room without heat. I'm goin to put plastic up to the windows and get rid of the draft, but it will still get pretty cold in there being on the north side, and not having any sun to warm it up.. Thanks for everyone's comments.. :-)
    Bill in SC

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Oh sweet mother of pearl!

That's a lot of pokie plants. I have thriteen succulents (mostly leaf starts) and I feel like I have too many to keep up with. I check on them everyday moving things around as the sun moves. I can't imagine baby sitting that many plants.

Good luck to you.

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Georgeous collection Bill! Very impressive all in one place like that. I think I have all mine moved in too. I'll try to take pics this weekend. I have about half in the house and half in the greenhouse.

WindsurfGirl

• underdog_TX7b
    18 years ago

Bill,

From the looks of it, you've got some good stuff there. Is that S. coryne that looks like he's waiving? I'm bound to get that one right sooner or later.

Some people collect wrist watches.
    Others collect fancy bottled wines.
    Yep. I'm glad I'm a cactus type of guy.

Keep us updated with the build.

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No underdog_TX7b, the waver is my Myrtillocactus. It developed two "arms" this summer, but only one is visable. Is is so cool!! Here are my two S. corynes. They were hiding behind my O.rufida. I do love the S. coryne, "Argentine toothpicks"..
    {{gwi:481770}}
    Bill in SC

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

Bill, superb collection, and i can recognise a few plants I have now(couldnt say that last year!)

Do they get enough light in there tho?

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Larry: I got lots of opinions before I made the transition from the outside to overwinter them in this room. The general consensus was that the plants should be fine in there. It is an ongoing temporary experiment until I get my GH finished. I have advertized in a local trader paper looking for 30 or 40 storm windows to panel my GH with, as the PolyCor panels have gone WAY beyond the price I want to spend.
    Bill in SC

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Bill, like your stuff. You definitely have CCS (Cactus Collecting Syndrome). Drugs have proven ineffective with this behavior and as far as i know there is no known cure. I hope your family can deal with it, I'm sure you can:-).

randy

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

You are so very organized, Bill! Something I hope to achieve one day! What a fine collection!

Good luck getting your GH put together.
    ~Rosemarie

• deefar
    18 years ago

Somehow I get the feeling Bill doesn't wanna be cured. Lucky for him he has found a wonderful support team and understands his addiction. To prove this I say Bill, DO IT UP MAN, green thumbs up :)

Counselor Dawn Farley

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Looks great Bill. I have about half of mine in the basement with my woodworking "shop". I actually get some of my winter blooming Mamms to bloom down there. The rest are upstairs underlights too and in some of my windows. I just don't have that many good windows to put them in. Can't wait for you to have the GH finished and showing us some pictures. Keep warm.
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering in Nebraska

• emyemy
    18 years ago

Bill in SC,

Great job! Is that the Quaibentia on photo #3 next to the E grusonii? It looks like it has gotten a bit taller.

Emy

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Aah Bill, your Stetsonias... they're impressive looking plants, I haven't seen those for so long... a friend of mine had one many moons ago, and it's been on my wish list since. Maybe one day...

CP

• billinsc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Emy, that is the Quiabentia. As you see, it has lost all it's leaves, and I am anxiously hoping it will survive the winter and start growing next spring. I don't think it has grown any, but after all, I just got it rooted right before I had to bring it in. I now have it with my Melocacti here in the kitchen with a south facing window. I will mist it frequently.. Cross your fingers for me...
    CP: The Stetsonias seem to be so easy to grow.. I only have a couple of bucks in each one as they came from Wal-Mart.. If you can't find one way down there where you are, perhaps someone here has some seeds they might could ship you..
    Bill in SC

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Yeah Bill, that'd be great... I'll keep my peepers open... The quarantine folks down here are making it very difficult to import seeds from outside Australia now... and all the red tape involved is very prohibitive.

CP

Sponsored