Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID's please

Posted by Siklid Z5b Mi (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 19:14

Hi I couldn't resist buying a few clearanced plants at a local Lowes... got these to for $0.50 and $0.75 .I think what i bought are a Thelocactus of some sort and either a notocactus or a parodia .anyone have any idea even though theres no flowers

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

thnkas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID's please

#1 is a Mammillaria (possibly M. magnimamma)
#2 is Notocactus uebelmanniaus
Bill in SC
Great deals BTW!! :-)

o

• Posted by tequila 26N 97.5W Z 9b (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 21:29

The first one looks like a Coryphanta and the second like Prodia werneri
Alfonso

o

For the second one, I vote for Notocactus uebelmannianus. Here's a photo of mine to compare.

Amy

o

The first does resemble a Coryphantha, but I think it is Mammillaria magnimamma.

o

I agree S_B.. #1 does resemble a Cory, but I have never seen a Cory at any Lowes, while M. magnimamma is quite common there. #2, without question in my mind is N. uebelmanniaus..
Bill in SC

o

I agree with the Mam and Noto IDs. Parodia werneri is the name assigned by those who consider Notos to be Parodias (the 'lumped' name, if you will).

o

hmmmm how about mammillaria krameri? i did a search of m Mammillaria magnimamma and saw a pic of krameri i tinhk looks a bit more like this one guess if it blooms that will help . I once had a cacti similar to this one and i havent seen it since it was an odd blue green color had shorter spines and the tubercles were more compact wish i could find even just a picture of it so someone could name it and i could buy one again LoL thanks for the help. Found some pics of the Parodia werneri/Notocactus uebelmanniaus as well can't wait for it to bloom now
thanks again

o

I am also patiently waiting for my 4 N. uebelmanniaus to bloom.
They did not bloom this year, perhaps because they were transplanted. Hoping for next year! The photos of the blooms I have seen are spectacular!! :-)
Bill in SC

o

Mammillaria krameri is not a valid name. It isn't even clear exactly what it is, possibly a cultivated form and possibly a hybrid. It is generally considered to be related to Mamillaria centricirrha, which is now generally lumped into M. magnimamma. Probably best to avoid this name unless you bought it labelled as krameri.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here