Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrion Plant Bloomed

Posted by treecactus (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 22:01

Well, the carrion plant bloomed - I've had 8 blooms so far. Here are three triplets that sprang up in one weekend. The stench is a bit much, right next to my desk, with several flowers newly opened!

Image link: Carrion Plant Bloomed (41 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrion Plant Bloomed

What a beautiful Stapelia gigantea ! It seldom blooms three flowers at once - congratulations Treecactus !
Do you grow other stapeliads ?

Milin

o

Actually - no. Who would want more!??! The stench IS bad, when the thing is inside, right next to your desk. It had five live blooms on it at one time, though I failed to get a photo, and eight altogether. There are only three live ones left, and no more buds. As they die off, I've just been clipping them. The "juice" really stinks, too!

But I think it's such an interesting plant!

o

I would want more !!!
Look up here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.moore30444/Brachystelma_maritae_Peckover.JPG

This one is much more stinky than your stapelia but I would love to have it !!!!

Milin

o

Its beautiful.I didnt think Stapeliads had leaves.
I have a grandiflora too.It hasnt bloomed yet.

o

While I only grow a few of these myself, I know a bunch of folks who do & grow these either out, or in greenhouses, but bloom them readily. Only some of them stink, & of those that do, some only stick at certain times of day; same is true of their close relatives like Caralluma, Orbea, Huernias, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here