Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A freebie with my R. violaciflora

Posted by Ohio_Green_Thumb Zone 5b NW Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 2:39

This little succulent freeloader, and two smaller plants just like it, came with my Rebutia violaciflora today. I am thinking Kalanchoe, but the rosy leaf edges are confusing me. Can anyone ID this baby so I can decide whether to pinch it or repot it? All three seedlings are nestled quite close to the Rebutia and I'd like to try to remove them before too long.

Amy

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A freebie with my R. violaciflora

I'd save it. Pot it up separately and see how it grows.

Dawn

o

I think I will. It could turn out to be something really beautiful. Now I'm thinking it resembles a Crassula, excepting for the glaucous leaves.

Rosemarie! Where are you? Help!

Amy

o

Jumping in here...how large are the leaves? The fact there are 3 of them might be a concern (weed). It does look like Crassula or Kalanchoe. I can't really say. I would separate & pot up...but if space is a concern for you, then I don't know. Are there any markings on the undersides of the leaves? Are there any pits on the leaves (hydathodes)?

~R

o

Rosemarie,
Thanks for the reply. The leaves are quite smooth without any pits. I don't see any markings under the leaves. I'll try to dig them out and pot them up to see what they might become.
Amy

o

rosemarie, is this not the same K. Luciae you just helped WSG and i id? or perhaps k. farinacea marginalis?

(OGT -i posted a pic of k.fm in WSG's thread - Succulent ID needed Nov6 - if you wanted to peek at it)

Jo (who has more questions than answers)

o

Jo, those are possibilities, although it would probably be better if we let it grow a bit & take another look at it for more defining features. BTW, I don't think Kalanchoe farinacea marginalis is a valid name. Kalanchoe farinacea is though.

Amy will show us more pix as it gets bigger, right? :) What is the measurement of the leaf now?
~R

o

I potted them up last night and believe it or not, there were 5 of them! The leaves of the largest (pictured above) are only half an inch long, but quite succulent. I will certainly keep you posted as it grows bigger and begins to show its mature form. This is the first time I've gotten a "freebie" in a plant shipment, so actually it's quite an exciting mystery to me.
Amy

o

Its an exciting mystery for all of us Amy! It does look like a crassula or kalanchoe. I love a good mystery. I can't wait to see updated photo's.

Dawn

o

Another possibility for you...Cotyledon orbiculata v. oblonga 'Macrantha'. :D

~R

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotyledon orbiculata v. oblonga 'Macrantha'

o

You could be right Rosemarie! I never even considered Cotyledon, but it very well could be one. Time will tell, hopefully! What if it's a strange Cotyledon x Kalanchoe?!?

Amy

o

Hello again!

I took a picture of the seedlings-in-question today. Since Rosemarie said it could be a Cotyledon, I've been thinking it really does resemble one. Here's a group nursery shot.

Amy

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here