Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuspolecat

Look what me mate gave me!!

cactuspolecat
18 years ago

I got these plant from my old mate the other day...

Parodia (Notocactus) ottonis and concinna v. apricus... the ottonis has a number of offsets forming mostly below the level of the top dressing, so it'll form a nice clump eventually. The apricus had at some stage received damaged which resulted in the formation of six new heads.
{{gwi:484508}}

{{gwi:484506}}{{gwi:484506}} Haworthia?/Aloe? aristata, Gasteria armstrongii and "Black Boy". What is the true designation of the Aloe aristata... according to desert tropicals it is considered to be a Haworthia.
{{gwi:484507}}
CP

Comments (14)

• ariole
    18 years ago

A very nice bunch of plants. 'Black Boy' is a new one for me. It has great form.

Al

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

I have to say thats not a true Aloe aristata but a hybrid of some sorts.
    Aristata has tiny whhite hairs at the ends of the leaves that curl over, hence its common name Lace Aloe.

{{gwi:484510}}

• deefar
    18 years ago

By looking at the plant it looks like there is some haworthia mixed in.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll have to check that out Larry, the leaf tips have browned off to a degree, so I'll have a closer look at the new leaves coming on, but you could be right.
    Al, the "Black Boy" has the heads forming, so Is going to look nice in the next season or so with a bit more size.

CP

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

CP, looks like you SCORED from your mate! Nice to have those goodies imparted on you!

~Rosemarie

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You bet, Rosemarie... I've known this man for (25?) years... his years are quickly slipping away and his memory with them, so his vast knowledge of cacti and succulents is not a reliable resource any more which is a great pity, he has cacti that are in excess of 40+ years of age!
    Larry the new leaves forming on my aristata certainly have those white hairs on the tips!

Shalom, CP

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

cpc-
    how'd you put your name on your pic?
    tia -
    jo

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Jo, I use Adobe photoshop to edit and process my pics... it allows the user to add text to the pics. Most graphics editing programs have this feature.

CP

• cactijoe
    18 years ago

CP, I'm afraid we're going too have to cut you off. Too much of anything can be bad for you. What's your head count at this time? I think I'll just have to buy a hundred acres of desert in Arizona or Mexico to one-up-you. I'll live on locusts and wild honey amidst my thousands of cacti. You've heard of John the Baptist; I'll be Joe the Cactus.

• meloman
    18 years ago

That "Black Boy" looks great, almost look like a hairless Ariocarpus!

Your Aloe aristata is definitely an Aloe aristata. Haworthia aristata do exist but is a totally different species with much smaller body. This one is quite hard to find. You can see a pic from my Haw gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haworthia aristata

• meloman
    18 years ago

Looking back I think GreenLarry was right that your plant might be a hybrid involving A. aristata as your plant looks more robust and the end of the leaves have no long filament. Miles Anderson also comment this in his plant catalog.

Pijaya

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Joe the Cactus, you're a scream, mate! I dig your sense of humour. My head-count... gee, I dunno I ran out of fingers and toes a long time ago! talking about heads though, don't lose yours mate, remember John did!

Pijaya, it's likely you and Larry are right, thanks to you both for the info and your pics!! the filaments on the tips of mine are quite short in comparison... and it's definitely not a Haworthia aristata.

Cheers, CP

Cheers

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Some choice selections! I would agree that the "Aloe aristata" is most likely a hybrid, possibly something along the lines of xGasteraloe beguinia (a cross between aristata and Gasteria carinata var. verrucosa). I've seen other names listed as well, but am not sure which are correct. By the way, which Gasteria is in the background of the second picture?

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi rjm710, the Gasteria you 're referring to is G. armstrongii, it has nice short, fat little leaves that go quite dark in strong light.

CP