Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariole

Desert Lotus

ariole
18 years ago

Who could resist such a name?

Such was the name on the tag of this gem at Walmart a few months ago. A month ago the guy was happy enough in it's new home to start a flower stalk:

{{gwi:480763}}

And just yesterday:

{{gwi:484551}}

Enjoy!

Al

Comments (10)

• greenlarry
    18 years ago

looks like the unknown Echeveria I have!
    How big are its rosettes?

{{gwi:484552}}

{{gwi:484553}}

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

Very nice Al, & I love the flower close-up, it's a beautiful flower and you've captured it well. I love the contrast between external and internal colour.

CP

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

This is one that I get confused on the name. I think it may have one or more of glauca, pumila or secunda as part of its Echeveria name. :D Desert Rose is much simpler!

Beautiful pix, as usual, Al!

~Rosemarie

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for those leads, Rosemarie. I will have the plant right next to my computer screen as I do my search.

Al

• ariole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whoops, Larry I didn't realize I failed to answer your question. The plant has a single rosette, about 8" (20 cm) in diameter. Your specimen is very nicely displayed in that beautiful planter.

Al

• alex_AZ
    18 years ago

Al, I really like the shot of the flower!! Looks like a candy, yummy!

Alex

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

oh no rosemarie! plz dont call it a desert rose cuz then i will get it confused with you know what - lol - and i am much to easy to confuse as is!
    lovely plant, lovely pix - thanks for sharing!
    jo

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Jo, I think Rosemarie is onto something with the secunda idea. The leaves look very secund-ish...thinnish and curling. Are they very soft and pliable? Here's a photo of mine to compare yours with.

Echeveria secunda

{{gwi:484554}}

{{gwi:484555}}

Amy

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

all of the plants pictured here are just lovely - amy, those flowers are just too sweet. but if we call this 'desert rose' my mind will picture a. obesum and i am lost before i've begun, lol.
    having same prob w/'confederate rose' - 1 succulent, 1 not...both grown by folks who never use the latin name. should have seen these two at a gathering one nite (their first meeting actually). one (non-suc) related a problem with her CR; the other (suc) asked about watering...he was surprised at the answer, began to give her proper watering instructions for *his* CR...the exchange went on with each thinking the other a bit nutty until i stepped in to inform them that they each referenced a completely different CR. lol. twas a bit comical. and wasnt i the lil devil to let it go on for my own amusement! hehehe
    Jo
    ps - no feelings were harmed in the making of this show - a chuckle had by all

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Oops, I meant to address my reply to Al, not Jo! Thus leading to more confusion! Cute story about the folks both using the same name for two different plants. I agree, scientific names are better used, if not more difficult to memorize.

Amy
    Homo sapien

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!