Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone ID this one for me?

Posted by luvz_houseplants (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 25, 06 at 6:32

I've had this one for quite awhile now and I have no idea what it is. I noticed this morning that it's growing something, I'm assuming a flower??? I would love to know what the name of this plant is.
Thanks so much! (Sorry for the massive pic)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID this one for me?

Yup, it's a flower spike. I think this is a Gasteria but I'm not into the genus so really don't know about that.

Dave
Milwdave

o

Thanks so much Dave! I looked around and managed to come up with the name Gasteria Armstrongii. I wanted to get an idea of what the flower will end up looking like. Good job! :)
Jen

o

Hi & congrats to you! Sure is a flower spike, hard to tell what kind of Gasteria from the close-up (I know you were focusing on the spike), armonstrongii sounds like a good start.

While many folks consider Gasteria & Haworthia (a close relative) flowers unremarkable, I was still thrilled when I bloomed my first Haworthia (none of my Gasterias have bloomed yet). If you haven't found a pic in bloom, it'll be a long, wiry flower stem w/ small individual flowers opening up close to the top, probably green & white blooms w/ coral pink bellies. I think they look kind of charming actually!

Importantly, it is proof positive you have done right by the plant & it's happy & healthy! Congrats & enjoy!

o

Thanks Pirate Girl! Would ya believe that I've been keeping him under a fluorescent light? I have 2 Haworthias too that have flowered for me, and although they aren't that showy, they let ya know they're happy! Awesome. I'm excited, I hope he continues to do well for me. Thanks again guys!

o

That's great that it's going to bloom! It is Gasteria, probably a hybrid, as armstrongii is normally not spotted.

o

Hmm, ok rjm, thanks. I'll keep looking. It's gotten so much taller since I took this pic! I'm so excited :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here