Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuspolecat

Gymnocalycium mihanovitchii struts its stuff.

cactuspolecat
18 years ago

I have a couple more smaller ones of these also about to flower. these are my first Gymno flowers for the season

Enjoy, CP

Comments (15)

• deefar
    18 years ago

No pics.....or is my computer?

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here 'tis for those who can't view my thumbnails. (even though this thumbnail is full size... the problem appears to be in the code for displaying thumbnails???

{{gwi:484775}}

CP

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Thumbnail appears in Firefox, but not in my slightly out of date IE. Not sure what the issue is. Pic links in tables? That space in the tag? I'll have a play in the test forum and report back :)

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Really nice plants there, CP! I see that spring has sprung in your area. I'm jealous!
    Amy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I think I've found the problem. You seem to be missing your end-tag angle bracket on the A HREF tag. Newer browsers compensate and fill in the tag for you, but some rubbish ones (like IE!) don't and show you nothing. So one > should fix it.

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks S&B I appreciate your help there. I use Firefox, I'm essentially lazy as I "cut and paste" a lot, so because it worked either way for me, I didn't bother to place the ">" I shoulda known... so here goes I'll post a thumbnail to put it to the test...

Here's a scan of a 35mm slide of my Gymno andreae...
    {{gwi:484777}}

Is that working OK for all?

Cheers for now, CP

• matthew1381
    18 years ago

Oh yes, perfect now - can see it whereas previously nothing.
    Nice plant C/P - you must have lots of cacti !

Matthew

• billinsc
    18 years ago

OK CP: G mihanovichii has yellow blooms.. Yours is most probably G stenopleurum... See link on this controversial subject..
    BB in SC

Here is a link that might be useful: Gymnocalcium controversy

• deefar
    18 years ago

I love the flowers. They photograph very well.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all, and I appreciate the tip and the link Bill, I haven't had this plant for long, and this is the first time it's flowered since I got it... my other ones are only small seedlings and are also budding for the first time... it'll be interesting to see if they are correctly named also.

CP

• billinsc
    18 years ago

The great thing about this plant is that it will repeatedly bloom all spring and summer!!! I think I have 7 or 8 of them now.
    Bill in SC

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Bill, these plants probably think they're home in Brazil during your summer! Do you leave them out in the rain?

• milwdave
    18 years ago

I just bought one of these at our HD store....it's budding now. Is this the normal bloom time?

Dave
    Milwaukee

• billinsc
    18 years ago

S_B: yes, I leave it in the rain, and it doesn't mind at all. They are not rot proned at all.
    Dave: No, now is not the normal bloom time for your zone. I guess it was still getting plenty of light and heat where it came from.
    Bill in SC

• captcactisc
    15 years ago

What about green flowered versions? Are they a separate species?

Sponsored