Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuspolecat

Some new Euphorbias I've bought and a noid.

cactuspolecat
18 years ago

I just got these Euphorbs from a mainland grower...

Euphorbia whellanii.
Euphorbia debilispina.
Euphorbia saxorum.
Euphorbia aeruginosa.
{{gwi:484814}}

{{gwi:484814}}{{gwi:484814}}

{{gwi:484814}}{{gwi:484814}}

Cheers, CP

Comments (9)

• deefar
    18 years ago

CP, I can't view your pics.

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How's this Dawn?...
    E. whellanii.
    {{gwi:484811}}

E. debilispina.
    {{gwi:484812}}

E. saxorum.
    {{gwi:484813}}

E. aeruginosa. I have another, thinner form of this one also.
    {{gwi:484814}}

I hope this works for you, I'll do likewise to the rest of my postings too.

CP

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

I can't see your thumbnails either, but the larger pics show up just fine.

I am partial to E. aeruginosa myself. I can't wait until mine is a large, bristly clump of stems! I like the blue-green stems punctuated with the deep maroon spots. Very attractive in my opinion.

Amy

• deefar
    18 years ago

Much better, thanks. The E. whellanii is a first for me. How big will that one get? I like the slenderness of, will it stay that way?

Dawn

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aeruginosa has been a favourite of mine for a long time too Amy.
    Dawn, saxorum and debilispina are both new to me... and whellanii is one I saw in a friend's collection a while back. It is a dwarf euphorb, and is much branched, the stems are up to 8mm thick. When I saw the names of the other two on the plant list, I went straight to Frank's web site and checked them out there! Since his photography is so good you can't not like what you see... so I bought 'em, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

• Denise
    18 years ago

CP - I have the debilispina, too, but it came to me as debilispina 'Leach'. It can grow pretty wild. Mine got too wild looking (for me) and I broke it up into many pieces and rerooted and got rid of all but two small ones. I like the look of it small and solitary myself. This one has grown more segments since this pic (it's in a 1-1/2" pot for perspective...)
    {{gwi:484815}}

Denise in Omaha

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's a nice little plant of yours Denise, I don't mind "wild", the good thing about a plant like this gets out of hand is just as you did, you can break it up and start again.
    The name Leach (L. C. Leach) is the name of the author of this species, in other words L. C. Leach would have been the person to give it the name debilispina.

Cheers, CP

• www_euphorbia_de
    18 years ago

CP, I had some additional information for you.

E. aeruginosa with the age builds an attractive, small (15 to 20 cm) and very dense shrub of up to 100 stems. Due to its swollen roots it likes a larger pot.

E. debilispina remains even smaller and rarely gets larger than 15 cm. With the age it branches a lot and builds a dense cushion.

E. whellanii grows erect first. Then the initial shoot dries back and the many branches that arise from the remaining stump bend down. With the age the plant, somewhat resembling an Aporocactus in shape, suits well to a hanging pot.

E. saxorum is a sprawling plant. In habitat as well as in cultivation it builds aireal roots that as soon as the get in contact with soil develope into normal roots. As moreover healthy branches tend to dry back from their middle new plants with own roots get separated. That's the way the plant spreads and also the reason why it is so outrageous easy to propagate from cuttings.

Frank
    www.euphorbia.de

• cactuspolecat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank-you Frank, for the extra info, that's really helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing these plants develop & grow.

Cheers, CP

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County