Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some new Euphorbias I've bought and a noid.

Posted by cactuspolecat Tasmania Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 7:14

I just got these Euphorbs from a mainland grower...

Euphorbia whellanii.
Euphorbia debilispina.
Euphorbia saxorum.
Euphorbia aeruginosa.

Cheers, CP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some new Euphorbias I've bought and a noid.

CP, I can't view your pics.

Dawn

o

How's this Dawn?...
E. whellanii.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

E. debilispina.

E. saxorum.

E. aeruginosa. I have another, thinner form of this one also.

I hope this works for you, I'll do likewise to the rest of my postings too.

CP

o

I can't see your thumbnails either, but the larger pics show up just fine.

I am partial to E. aeruginosa myself. I can't wait until mine is a large, bristly clump of stems! I like the blue-green stems punctuated with the deep maroon spots. Very attractive in my opinion.

Amy

o

Much better, thanks. The E. whellanii is a first for me. How big will that one get? I like the slenderness of, will it stay that way?

Dawn

o

Aeruginosa has been a favourite of mine for a long time too Amy.
Dawn, saxorum and debilispina are both new to me... and whellanii is one I saw in a friend's collection a while back. It is a dwarf euphorb, and is much branched, the stems are up to 8mm thick. When I saw the names of the other two on the plant list, I went straight to Frank's web site and checked them out there! Since his photography is so good you can't not like what you see... so I bought 'em, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

o

CP - I have the debilispina, too, but it came to me as debilispina 'Leach'. It can grow pretty wild. Mine got too wild looking (for me) and I broke it up into many pieces and rerooted and got rid of all but two small ones. I like the look of it small and solitary myself. This one has grown more segments since this pic (it's in a 1-1/2" pot for perspective...)
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Denise in Omaha

o

It's a nice little plant of yours Denise, I don't mind "wild", the good thing about a plant like this gets out of hand is just as you did, you can break it up and start again.
The name Leach (L. C. Leach) is the name of the author of this species, in other words L. C. Leach would have been the person to give it the name debilispina.

Cheers, CP

o

CP, I had some additional information for you.

E. aeruginosa with the age builds an attractive, small (15 to 20 cm) and very dense shrub of up to 100 stems. Due to its swollen roots it likes a larger pot.

E. debilispina remains even smaller and rarely gets larger than 15 cm. With the age it branches a lot and builds a dense cushion.

E. whellanii grows erect first. Then the initial shoot dries back and the many branches that arise from the remaining stump bend down. With the age the plant, somewhat resembling an Aporocactus in shape, suits well to a hanging pot.

E. saxorum is a sprawling plant. In habitat as well as in cultivation it builds aireal roots that as soon as the get in contact with soil develope into normal roots. As moreover healthy branches tend to dry back from their middle new plants with own roots get separated. That's the way the plant spreads and also the reason why it is so outrageous easy to propagate from cuttings.

Frank
www.euphorbia.de

o

Thank-you Frank, for the extra info, that's really helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing these plants develop & grow.

Cheers, CP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here