deefar

Haworthia Flower

deefar
18 years ago

H. Retusa

{{gwi:484925}}
{{gwi:484926}}
{{gwi:484927}}

Do you think these pics are clear enough? My macro feature doesn't work very well.

Thanks,

Dawn

Comments (11)

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

They look fine to me Dawn, I think you got the knack!!
    They're such dainty little flowers these aren't they?

CP

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

That's great. I'm hoping a Haworthia might flower for me one day.

Macro tips:
    - good light, sun is great, outdoor shade can be good, indoors is hopeless;
    - did I mention good light?
    - watch out for the flash firing up close, it washes out close subjects and leaves the rest too dark;
    - field depth is always very limited, think about shooting from further away and cropping for the web;
    - focus is critical, I take hundreds of pictures of sharply-focussed top dressing and blurred plants!

Some parts of your pictures look sharp and well-exposed, I think the camera can take good shots in the right conditions.

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CP, Your not kidding..they are small.

S&B, My macro hasn't worked right ever since my son dropped my camera on the driveway. These pics were taken indoors in the middle of the night with no lights on. All I used was the flash set too 'low' setting. I did crop the pics. I thought they turned out pretty good considering the room was pitch black. Insomnia....it's a terrible thing.

Thanks,
    Dawn

• swiss_1
    18 years ago

How do you get them to flower?

Do all varieties flower?

I have had one for 2 years now and it keeps giving offsets, but no flowers.

Do you have a photo of the whole plant?

Thanks

Swiss

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:484924}}

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Swiss, here is a pic of the whole plant. I have one like your and it has never flowered for me. I've had it for about 2 years also.
    {{gwi:484929}}

Dawn

• swiss_1
    18 years ago

Thanks Dawn.

I bought mine from a florists, they told me it was an aloe and that it would flower if watered regularly in the summer. Oh well!

Mine is being deformed a bit by all its offsets. I was going to wait until spring before potting some of them up. Do you think that is best or can it be done now (with our 8 hours of sunlight in the UK!)?

They are loose from the main plant.

Thanks again

Swiss

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I got one of that type to flower once. It was my sister's plant and she treated it like a cactus, water once a year every year whether it needs it or not! I put it outside in a partly sunny spot and a month later it was flowering. That's the high point of my Haworthia growing career.

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

My Haws flower with wild abandon. I put them in part sun most of the growing season. One thing to remember is that they go dormant during the hottest part of the summer. It's a good idea to not water them while they are dormant (some will turn brownish or reddish while dormant) or you might cause them to rot. I keep mine mostly shaded during the heat of the summer, but they catch the late afternoon sun which seems to be all they need. I water well in the spring and early fall. In winter they get a light spritzing of water when their clay pots feel light (dry). Another easy way to tell when they need water is to pinch the leaves gently. Leaves that are soft usually mean that the plant needs a drink. Very firm leaves mean they are sufficiently hydrated. They don't do much during the winter here in Ohio besides lazing around on the windowsills looking cute! Hope that helps!
    Amy

Haworthia venosa v tessalata:

{{gwi:484931}}

• ooojen
    18 years ago

Mine flower all the time, too, with no particular encouragement from me. That doesn't lessen my appreciation of the pictures, though! Nice shots, Dawn!
    I like yours too, Amy. That tesselata's veins have great definition!

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jen But I think we need to see some pics of yours now.

Amy, that is a lovely Haworthia. I can't wait til mine grows up more.

Dawn

• dufflebag2002
    18 years ago

Mine are starting to flower again, I had some scale on a flat of them but I think I have it under control at this time. I give mine part sun, that way they show off their best colors, many are very colorful with good indirect sun. I grow several hundred Haworthia, and willing to get more. I just love the plant, because I can pick up the pot and hold it close so I can admire it beauty. Norma

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County